Conditions on Deseret Twin Couloirs

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
jonesdcu

Conditions on Deseret Twin Couloirs

by jonesdcu » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:36 am

Has anyone been to/seen these lately? We were thinking of making the trip from Boise, ID and would like to know if there is any snow still in the Twin Couloirs on Deseret Peak and if so, how is it for climbing?

Thanks!

boisedoc

Re: Conditions on Deseret Twin Couloirs

by boisedoc » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:58 am

Hey Mark- splattski and I drove down from Boise and climbed Pilot Peak last weekend- it was too hazy to really see Deseret but there was essentially no snow left on Pilot. The north slopes of Ibapah had snow. I would guess there is not much snow left on Deseret- still fun to climb even by the normal route on bare ground though.

Wasatch Summits

by Wasatch Summits » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:06 am

This is a photo I took dating from June 2, 2012. The winter of 2011-2012 was fairly lackluster, as was this year. I anticipate the conditions are very similar up there right now. If you hit it soon, there may be similar conditions up there. The snow is melting fast above 10,000 on the northern aspects right now, ave temps in the valleys around SLC right now are 80+

If you hit the couloirs early, they may be somewhat solid. After 10:00 am they will be gulash.

desainme

by desainme » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:02 pm

April 28 looked pretty good
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glenmpics ... esY-eg3GCX
Some guy posted pix from 2nd june on flickr- traces of snow in the forest...

seano

by seano » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 pm

Most snow was awful slush on 5/26, except some boot-skiing where the trail north of the peak drops east through a saddle. Based on Phenom's 6/2 pic, you might want to wait and climb it dry.

Return to Utah