Crampon usage for beginner

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
brichardsson

Crampon usage for beginner

by brichardsson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:43 pm

I am curious as to how difficult/safe it is to use crampons without training. I am enrolled in a winter mountaineering course later this winter that teaches ice ax technique, crampons, rope teams on ice, etc. But I wanted to go out and get some light trail work just to stay in climbing shape. (I do work out regularly at the gym as well, of course)

If I am on a short, mostly unexposed, relatively flat trail, is crampon usage pretty straightforward? Or am I better off waiting until my class? Just for reference, I am comfortable doing 12-14 mile hikes with 4000' gain, and this particular route is only 6 miles with 1500' gain.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

mountainsandsound

Re: Crampon usage for beginner

by mountainsandsound » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:53 pm

It's like walking basically. If you are just walking around on flat terrain, don't worry too much about it, just be aware and space your legs a little further apart than normal. Wearing gaiters is a good idea too, to protect your pants.

The following user would like to thank mountainsandsound for this post
brichardsson

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:50 pm

mountainsandsound wrote:It's like walking basically. If you are just walking around on flat terrain, don't worry too much about it, just be aware and space your legs a little further apart than normal. Wearing gaiters is a good idea too, to protect your pants.

Thanks. I assumed as much, but I am acutely aware that I don't know everything there is to know, and decided it was best to ask. Thanks again.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:20 pm

I would read 'Freedom of The Hills' for a primer, then go and practice in low stakes situations (ski areas are good before the lifts open) or other snow slopes with safe runouts. It is not rocket surgery, but there are some points (ha ha) to keep in mind.

no avatar
DanTheMan

by DanTheMan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:48 pm

The dangers on flat ground with crampons are mostly

A)stepping on your own toes/legs

B)forgetting that your feet are now locked to the ground. If you try to pivot your foot like you normally can, it won't budge and you can really wrench your knee out.

The following user would like to thank DanTheMan for this post
brichardsson, TimB

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:43 pm

C) Catching your crampon on your pant leg (or too-baggy gaiter) and falling flat on your face.

Been there, done that.

The following user would like to thank splattski for this post
brichardsson

Jow

by Jow » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 pm

When you sit down for break or snack don't forget your wearing them and cross your legs quickly, happened to me and ripped open my pants.

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
brichardsson

Trevers89

by Trevers89 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Make sure your crampons are compatible with your boots

The following user would like to thank Trevers89 for this post
brichardsson

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:02 am

In addition to making sure they are compatible (good advice!), make sure you have fitted them properly. They should fit snugly on the boots so that they don't fall off easily even if you haven't tightened the straps (for strap ons) or engaged the lever lock (for hybrid or step ins). The first few times I used crampons I adjusted them fairly loosely, assuming the lever lock would hold them in place. I was just lucky I didn't trying anything too complicated in them, since when I took an ice climbing class a few months later the instructor noticed my crampons were too loose and showed me that they could pop off the way I had them adjusted.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
brichardsson

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:30 am

In addition to the great comments all ready provided, I would add:

Walk very deliberately, no sauntering or sashaying allowed.

If you come to a patch of bare ground or rock, keep em' on and walk over it carefully.

Don't step on yours or anybody else's rope.

The following user would like to thank Bill Reed for this post
brichardsson

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:59 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:I would read 'Freedom of The Hills' for a primer, then go and practice in low stakes situations (ski areas are good before the lifts open) or other snow slopes with safe runouts. It is not rocket surgery, but there are some points (ha ha) to keep in mind.

Thanks, already on it. I read (I believe it was yours) a mountaineering 101 primer here, and picked up the book after reading it. It's been a great resource.

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:02 am

Trevers89 wrote:Make sure your crampons are compatible with your boots

JHH60 wrote:In addition to making sure they are compatible (good advice!), make sure you have fitted them properly. They should fit snugly on the boots so that they don't fall off easily even if you haven't tightened the straps (for strap ons) or engaged the lever lock (for hybrid or step ins). The first few times I used crampons I adjusted them fairly loosely, assuming the lever lock would hold them in place. I was just lucky I didn't trying anything too complicated in them, since when I took an ice climbing class a few months later the instructor noticed my crampons were too loose and showed me that they could pop off the way I had them adjusted.

Thanks for both of these points. I have a resource at my local REI that has helped me greatly with gear fit / compatibility issues, and have already talked to him.

Baarb

by Baarb » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:12 am

Check if your crampons are designed for a particular foot, i.e. left / right and make sure they're on the correct ones. This can be do with proper fit as mentioned above but also to do with having strap buckles on the outside of the boot so you don't accidentally catch it with the other foot and cause the straps to loosen.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:31 pm

My buddy was tired and caught his 'pon on his pants during a hasty retreat off a stormy mountain... he'd been about 200' behind/above me, then I came around a rock pile and suddenly he was in front of me, lying face first, head down-slope in the snow.

So the point is- if you're having trouble keeping up on descent, get sloppy with your footwork.

Crampons really aren't hard to use- like somebody said, it's just like walking in bare boots, but with your feet slightly farther apart. Read up on the "French," "German," and "American" techniques... they'll seem sort of silly and redundant as you read about them, but then on the slope, it comes back to you, and you're reminded to use good footwork.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:37 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:I would read 'Freedom of The Hills' for a primer, then go and practice in low stakes situations (ski areas are good before the lifts open) or other snow slopes with safe runouts. It is not rocket surgery, but there are some points (ha ha) to keep in mind.

Excellent advice. If you don't have an ice axe you should get one and practice self arrest while you are at it. One specific crampon safety issue (mentioned in FotH) is that, when you practice self arrest (or do it for real) with crampons on, you need to lift your feet so your crampons aren't digging into the snow while you are sliding. Once you've stopped you can dig them in, but if you're still sliding and the crampons catch something you can be flipped over, wrench your foot or leg, or otherwise hurt yourself.

Next

Return to Gear