Darton peak attempt

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
WyomingSummits

Darton peak attempt

by WyomingSummits » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Hiked solo into the Bighorns on Fri night at 7pm and got dumped on. Set up camp by headlamp in between Bighorn and Darton peaks.....both around 12.5k and both had good amount of snow in the couloirs and above 11k on the slopes. Round after round of storms came through. Had a window of opportunity and got to 11.5k but the cloud buildup made me uneasy. Sure enough, an hour later I looked back after exiting the summit ridge and the top 1/3rd of the peak was engulfed in black clouds. Anyway, with numerous trips up and down from the treeline due to storms, and my trek in and out/exploring, I put about 20 miles in by Sat at 1pm. It was a good time, nice exercise and views, but would have been nice to get a summit! Oh well, I'm alive and those mounds of rocks aren't going anywhere...... :) We've been getting a lot of rain.....lakes and streams are busting at the seams.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)