day hikes in switzerland/valais, germany?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Cy Kaicener

Day hikes in Switzerland

by Cy Kaicener » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:20 am

Here is a website that you might want to see
http://www.hikingalps.com -- Click on to LINKS for more options
http://www.valaistourism.ch

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:35 pm

If you are doing all these places, I hope you have a lot of time in Europe. Most of those countries have a LOT to see and you can easily spend two weeks in one. Don't try to cram too much in one trip. That's just my travel advice :)

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:41 pm

You only need 2-3 days in Amsterdam, then you can spend the bulk of your time in Italy and Switzerland. Amsterdam doesn't have too much to offer, besides your usual night of drinking, smoking pot and having a look at the red light district LOL

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:52 pm

Also send Cyrill a message. He's quite the Switzerland expert:

http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=30908

barrys

by barrys » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:14 am

Check this for starters:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -midi.html

Haute Cime is a part of Les Dents Du Midi - I was there just last weekend, and managed to get myself really ill because it was 28 degrees down in the valley and freezing on the mountain. Haute Cime isn't a day hike by any means. It's covered in ice at the moment as are the neighbouring Grand Mont Ruan (much easier) and Mont Buet (also much easier and doable without crampons/axe mid summer) on the french side of the border. Champery has a few guest houses and refuges near by, so if I haven't put you off accommodation shouldn't be a problem. In the area there's a tiny village called Barme which is really nice, climbable cliffs, lots of well kept and signposted hikking routes and a few very quaint old alpine guest houses and refuges. It's the real alpine postcard.

An easier option - If the weather is clear you can get amazing vistas above Lac D'Emosson, with much less effort - looking onto all the biggies of the Mont Blanc Massif and in the distance to the south east the Weisshorn, Dom, Grand Combin and more - and maybe some of the more westerly Bernese peaks if you're lucky. The barrage is accessible by car or rail. Champex and the Val Ferret are also awesome but maybe tricky if you're only using trains - there's a few climbs (difficult hikes) to the south of the valley that offer great views onto the South Faces of the Month Blanc Massif and Grand Combin looks like a monster. I've found it to be much quieter and wild in the summer to Zermatt/Grindlewald/Chamonix.

Just down the road from all this is Montreux, which has a huge music festival for two weeks in July (it's not just jazz as it's name suggests) - some of it is free and ALOT of people go so it's a great area to be in to party for a few days too.

I haven't climbed the Mettelhorn but I've stood right under it and have a friend who climbed it - with his wife who had never climbed before and she managed it without much difficulty. Sounds like it'd be doable under your brief - but damn it looks exposed at the top - so if there's anyone on your team who's never experienced that kind of gain in height don't be surprised if they freak out on the way up. There's a summitpost page on it. It's probably about as high as you can get in a day without proper equipment or the help of a cable car.

Jesus, sorry if this response is a bit over the top. If you get a chance on the Italian side of the alps, not far from Zermatt, see if you can visit Macugnaga for one of the most impressive mountain views of the alps. Great hikes to be had there too but the view is kind of restricted by one huge mountain face.

If any of your friends have never been in a real high mountain environment you guys should visit either the Mer De Glace or the Gross Aletschgletscher - i wasn't heavily into mountains when I first visited here 14 years ago and I was blown away to the extent that I wanted to move to the alps. And of course who wouldn't want to hike around Grindlewald and see the Eiger - in mid summer it's very very very busy - which for sightseers isn't a problem but to me ruins the hikking experience. Someone else on here may be able to suggest some good routes that are off the beaten track, I've not spent much time there, I will, but not in the middle of summer. I've seen some impressive photos of scrambles in the area.

I've not climbed as many mountains as alot of folk but I spend about 1/4 of my time in the mountains here, be it hiking,climbing or mountain bikking or eating cheese and the most impressive sights I can recommend (staying on the swiss-ish side) are -
Any of the big glaciers - Aletsch, Mer De Glace, Finsteraar glacier, Gorner Basin
Mont Blanc - especially from the east/ or south east but it's all amazing
Zermatt Valley - anywhere with views to Matterhorn, Dom, Weisshorn, Dent Blanche (the breithorn is doable in less than half a day and equipment rental is pretty cheap as you can rent it before closing time, and drop it back just after midday the next day, if the weather is good and you know what to look for on a glacier there's usually a clear path all the way to the summit, I know people with 0 experience who did it and said 'easy'. If you're not bringing rope though they don't rent that out) My old guide would slay me for saying all that.
Grand Combin
Piz Bernina area (much quieter also)
The views looking over Emosson (counted about 15 4,000ers from one spot)
Jungfrau massif
The Macugnaga Face
lauterbrunnen valley

Bored yet? Christ, I gotta stop myself from going any further. Enjoy exploring Europe anyway!

Return to Europe