Dolomites, winter routes

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
AKM

Dolomites, winter routes

by AKM » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi

Can anyone suggest some winter climbing/mountaineering routes in the Dolomites for me? There should be at least three of us going at the end of Feb 2010 for one week.

I'm happy climbing at Scottish winter 5, done some PD and D routes, Britsh trad grade hard or severe at a push etc... (plus I'll have someone in the team who climbs better than me).

Fine with Glacier crossings and using snowshoes but can't really ski.

Anyway, just looking for some suggestion :)

Thanks in advance!
- Adam

damgaard

by damgaard » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:20 pm

To my knowledge there is only one glacier left in the Dolomites, the one on Marmolada, so there is not much use for your glacier skills :wink:

About winter routes I dunno, but I think I saw a similar question a year ago that you might be able to locate.

-jesper

AKM

by AKM » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:04 am

:roll:

Wow thanks

AKM

by AKM » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:12 pm

my mates all thought you were a dick as well :)

damgaard

by damgaard » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:43 am

if you're too lazy to browse the forums yourself:
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 048442d5c6

or find a guidebook on amazon

visentin

by visentin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:43 am

switched the Tatras against the Dolomites ? :)
AKM, have you also thought about the Pyrenees ?

visentin

by visentin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:57 am

sjarelkwint wrote:common, now he's going to start making questions about the pyrenees

And I'd say YES, that's a much better idea for February
As for your winter routes, I'm afraid you took only a screenshot of some ski resort in the Alps... not really what he is execting by "winter routes" I guess ! :)

AKM

by AKM » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks to those that have helped.

Who cares if I ask some questions on the Pyrenees? Forgive me for not knowing it all as I am still NEW TO ALPINISM. I just have a real hatred for SMUG FUCKS who I personally think spoil forums :evil:

visentin

by visentin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:37 pm

AKM wrote:Thanks to those that have helped.
Who cares if I ask some questions on the Pyrenees? Forgive me for not knowing it all as I am still NEW TO ALPINISM. I just have a real hatred for SMUG FUCKS who I personally think spoil forums :evil:

Don't worry about spoilers, we're here to help. I haven't been in Dolomites but I've seen their neighbouring slovenian Alps and how sharp they are. February is quite a rude month for all mountains in Europe, and since I know the couple of ranges I am writting about, that's why I advise you the Pyrenees. They are more south so there will be less snow, and there is a reasonnable amount of medium peaks you can reach in the winter, especially as you go south on the spanish side. There you can find gorgeous sceneries worth the Dolomites, with more affordable weather during this month of the year.
If you look for ideas, have a look on the SP pages about the Pyrenees, and possibly ask in the "spannish team" forum thread
Have a nice week end !

AKM

by AKM » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks Visentin, I've got until the end of November until I start thinking about booking flights, so I might well have a look at the Pyrenees as well!

I'm at the stage where I'm still open to ideas.

Cheers,

Adam

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:28 pm

visentin wrote:I haven't been in Dolomites but I've seen their neighbouring slovenian Alps and ..... I advise you the Pyrenees....!

I hope you're not going to open a marriage bureau : if a guy looks for a young, slim and athletic girl you could put forward a fat and flabby old lady ... or worse :lol:

PS - in western dolomites (especially Sella and Pordoi), many routes can be climbed all over the year, idem for Fanes & Lagazuoi.

visentin

by visentin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:48 pm

gabriele wrote:PS - in western dolomites (especially Sella and Pordoi), many routes can be climbed all over the year, idem for Fanes & Lagazuoi.

I know, I know.. I'm sure there are convenient places in the Dolomites, but as I said I havn't been there. And if I say Slovenian Alps are gentle in slope, someone here will kill me :)
As for winter mountains, yes, fat girls are always better :)

Return to Europe