Down Jacket with Hood

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
CASummit

Down Jacket with Hood

by CASummit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:09 am

I have a mountain hardware down jacket without a hood. It has kept me pretty warm but there are definitely times where I would like my head/neck to be warmer. For Socal Mountains, occasionally the Sierra and Mt. Shasta/Hood, should I consider getting a down jacket with a hood? Does the hood make a big enough difference to justify getting a second down jacket?

WML

by WML » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:15 pm

manfromnantucket wrote:instead of buying another down jacket, buy a das parka. you shouldn't have anymore problems being cold....

+1

That thing is a portable oven. It's great.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:23 pm

If you wanna save some green, buy a down cap. I know MH makes one (Compressor Dome maybe?). Anyway, if you're handy with a needle, it would be a fairly simple DIY to attach the back of the hat to the collar of the jacket. If you aren't that confident, a tailor should be able to do it for you.

I've used down jackets with and without hoods and there is a big difference.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:40 pm

WML wrote:
manfromnantucket wrote:instead of buying another down jacket, buy a das parka. you shouldn't have anymore problems being cold....

+1

That thing is a portable oven. It's great.

How is that on weight though, since its synthetic instead of down?

WML

by WML » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:41 pm

29 oz. is the weight, definitely worthwhile for a winter overnighter or for a cold-weather belay parka.

MJY

by MJY » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:33 pm

If you did want another down jacket, consider getting a Feather Friends. You can get the lightweight Helios with a hood or a midweight Volant with a removable hood. I have the Volant and it is an excellent jacket.

bird

by bird » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:38 pm

You could try feather friends or western mountaineering and see if they'd sell you a hood. then sew it to your jacket.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:40 pm

WML wrote:29 oz. is the weight, definitely worthwhile for a winter overnighter or for a cold-weather belay parka.

It's also nice to have a synthetic jacket if you're someplace wet and cold (think long hanging belay on a Cascade alpine ice route in freezing rain). And the hood does help a lot. Note DAS parka on climber in foreground, toasty warm at camp in 10F at 14,200'.

drpw

I love down

by drpw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:37 am

I love down. Granted, I don't tend to frequent very wet climates (and if I did then I'd probably love synthetic), but I just break into a smile when I pull my MH down off the closet rack and pack it into the pack for a trip.

I'd stick with MH if you can. The MH down I have is the absolute zero, a big jacket without a hood that is excellent (maybe the one you have). I've worn it in light rain with out a shell and had no problems, worn it bushwacking through thick willow groves to fly fish, and it sill just keeps going. It has a heavier duty patch of material along the arms and back which make it a lot more durable.

Unfortunately I recently discovered a hole from an ember from car camping before a winter trip and now have to buy a new jacket. I don't have the $$ for a MH sub-zero but REI makes a hooded down for $170 (the hood is removeable) that I think I'll be buying before my next winter trip.

Gak Icenberg

by Gak Icenberg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:06 am

check mountaingear.com they're seeling MH Sub Zero 650 goose down jackets for $118.98 :D no hood though :?

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 am

Just bought an alpkit down jacket with hood from alpkitfor € 85.

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:03 pm

WouterB wrote:Just bought an alpkit down jacket with hood from alpkitfor € 85.

That looks pretty sweet, and fairly cheap?? Why so cheap?

no avatar
CASummit

Re: I love down

by CASummit » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:18 pm

drpw wrote:REI makes a hooded down for $170 (the hood is removeable) that I think I'll be buying before my next winter trip.

I've actually had my eye on the REI jacket. It's supposed to be very compressible and very warm. The drawbacks (from reading reviews) seem to be that the zipper can be finicky and the shell might not stand up to abuse. Does anyone have any experience with this jacket?

drpw

Re: I love down

by drpw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:21 pm

jschrock wrote:
drpw wrote:Unfortunately I recently discovered a hole from an ember from car camping before a winter trip and now have to buy a new jacket. I don't have the $$ for a MH sub-zero but REI makes a hooded down for $170 (the hood is removable) that I think I'll be buying before my next winter trip.

Jeez, how big is the hole? Paste a little SeamGrip on the hole and your jacket should be fine...assuming it isn't huge. Save your money.

The hole is micrscopic, but after a few trips with friends who have down hoods I've been looking at downs with hoods and I'm using the hole as an excuse to get one.

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:54 pm

dskoon wrote:
WouterB wrote:Just bought an alpkit down jacket with hood from alpkitfor € 85.

That looks pretty sweet, and fairly cheap?? Why so cheap?

They use their customers and forum to determine what they need (hence no costs for research). They go to China, test the materials and buy a limited supply. They sell all this via the internet, again, cheap. Usually you have to wait a while before you get your stuff, as they have huge waiting lists. But everything gets sold, so no extra costs their either.

I get the jacket on friday and I'll do a full product report a.s.a.p. but all I've read this far was very positive.

Next

Return to Gear