Drones taking photos

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Marmaduke

Drones taking photos

by Marmaduke » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:27 am

I was wondering about the very, very few that might have used drones to take photos/videos while on your hikes? I saw a youtube video awhile back where a video was taken in the Banner/Ritter area (Calif.) and it was pretty darn cool. Obviously some hikes/climbs it wouldn't be feasible but your thoughts.....?

no avatar
stevenf

Re: Drones taking photos

by stevenf » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Keep in mind they're prohibited in National Parks now. Some of the drone/UAV footage I've seen is fantastic. You can't get that kind of perspective any other way.

However, I'm a little concerned about seeing and hearing dozens of these things every time I go hiking. It would certainly take away from the experience of being in the wilderness. I would suggest being discrete if you decide to use one so you don't detract from other peoples' experience of the outdoors.

I hear the dji phantom is good for a reasonable price.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:52 pm

Please understand the regulations for drone use and the airspace in which you may be flying. There have been a number of close calls with private and commercial aircraft in California, not to mention the problems CalFire is having with drones in the vicinity of wildfires.

CClaude

by CClaude » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Personally I hate drones. Have seen (and heard) them while climbing and trail running. They (and the fraction of owners that are irresponsible) are completely annoying, especially when you are trying to concentrate while climbing. As for the idiots who are using the drones in the California fires, and preventing fire operations from occurring by getting in the way of water drops, I hope the California legislature makes it a criminal offense to get in the way of fire operations.

Return to General