Easiest of the GNP 10,000 footers?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
CanadaHiker

Re: Easiest of the GNP 10,000 footers?

by CanadaHiker » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks all! Incredibly valuable advice.

We've decided on Siyeh for our first 10,000 foot peak. Because it's just a day trip, we will have an easier time choosing the best weather day.

My partner and I will each by carrying a can of bear spray throughout the park.

Klenke

by Klenke » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Some correlary info about the Siyeh Bend trailhead and route:
No bathrooms there
Tourons tourons tourons (but the parking won't be a problem if you get there early to do the climb)
It's a good trail...wish it was more direct though.
It's easy to walk too far up Preston Park (Edwards' route description isn't that good for this peak) but it's also easy to get to the start of the steeper climbing from near the outlet of the lakes. There's a pretty cataract there.
The North Face of Siyeh is quite the sight to look down upon from the summit. The face looks like vertical dirt!

no avatar
CanadaHiker

by CanadaHiker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks for the additional pointers.

I assume I can leave the ice axe at home? (still using it out here on the coast)

Klenke

by Klenke » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:25 am

Most definitely leave it at home if you're going to do it in late summer. You don't need any special gear...except bear spray, I suppose (but even that you don't need and it is not required). The views from Siyeh are some of the best views in the park so hopefully your weather will be clear.

Klenke

by Klenke » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 pm

The park information I read while there said bear spray is highly suggested but not required. This page seems to confirm the non-requirement... "If you decide to carry bear spray..."

So "need" vs. "must have to follow the rules" are two different things. I should have wrote my prior post this way: "...except bear spray, I suppose (but even that is not required by law by the Park)" or something like that.

All that said, of the two grizzlies we saw while there, one was in Preston Park. It was descending our route into Preston Park, heading in a general direction to the lake at the head of the park.

no avatar
CanadaHiker

by CanadaHiker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:33 am

Thanks all. We ended up doing Siyeh and it was a great scramble. I tried attaching some pictures but it doesn't seem to want to work.

Previous

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)