Embedding images in a trip report

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.
ExcitableBoy

Embedding images in a trip report

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:19 pm

I created a trip report and was able to attach images, but I can't figure out how to embed the images in the text. Can anyone help me out?

TIA,

EB

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Embedding images in a trip report

by Bob Sihler » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:38 pm

On the editing page, put the cursor where you want to insert the image. Then click on the icon for inserting an image. It is a rectangle with what looks like a mountain to me inside it.

Then click on Search SP Images.

Click on This Object's Children Only (since you've already uploaded and attached the pictures).

Hit Search.

Hit Select for the image you want.

Then hit Insert.

After that, you can click and drag to resize the photo.

You can also click on the image to bring up a table that will let you edit the caption or move the placement to left or right. Default is center.

Finally, if you prefer, use the option for using the old editor, which you may be more used to and might feel more comfortable with. It takes a little bit getting used to the new one, but it does provide a lot more options.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
myles

MississippiMark

by MississippiMark » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:01 pm

I noticed that on some pages where photos are embedded, the top photo which is centered gets pushed to the left. Why is that?

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:59 am

MississippiMark wrote:I noticed that on some pages where photos are embedded, the top photo which is centered gets pushed to the left. Why is that?

I think that has something to do with the Table of Contents affecting the top photo and pushing it slightly to the left

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:
MississippiMark wrote:I noticed that on some pages where photos are embedded, the top photo which is centered gets pushed to the left. Why is that?

I think that has something to do with the Table of Contents affecting the top photo and pushing it slightly to the left

Yep, that's exactly it. The thing with centering someting in HTML is that it will be centered with respect to the available width. The Table of Contents always takes away a little bit of width in the upper right corner of the content box of the page. Consequently, there is less available width to center the image in. It's still centered though.

If you don't like this effect on a page that you own yourself, there is a lot you can do about it. The simplest solution is to have the first image on the left instead of centered, and don't use any other centered images very early in the page either.

If you want to learn more, I suggest creating a custom object and trying out what works for you. The main variables to play with are to position images left, right and center, and to make them smaller or bigger than the default. Mind you, if you make them more than just a little bigger, they start to look fuzzy - to fix that, you would have to edit the underlying HTML code. There are many other ways to position images (and other items on a page), but often that requires knowledge of HTML too. Most SP members are not interested in learning that. I am, and when I just joined SP, armed with basic knowledg of HTML, I spent a lot of time experimenting, and learning more HTML in the process. It's easier with the new editor now, but I still often switch to HTML.

If all this doesn't deter you, good luck and have fun. And remember that there are several popular browsers around and people have screens of various widths. What may look good on a big screen may look awful on an older 1024x768 one, and vice versa.

Return to Page Help