First California 14er?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
orangjul

First California 14er?

by orangjul » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:58 am

We are from Colorado and getting ready to do a road trip out to California (leaving Sunday). We have a lot of places on our wish list, but we are thinking about climbing a 14er and would like suggestions. We have both climbed nearly twenty 14ers in Colorado so we are experienced, but I'd like to climb something that is class 2-3. An overnight (or two) or a long day is fine. I know CA can be crowded, but I'd like a suggestion on a peak that might be less crowded.

Also, I am not sure if any of the peaks require permits besides Whitney (I think that one's off the list since we don't have one?).

We'd also be open to 13ers or other peaks that are less crowded but exceptionally beautiful. We are mainly looking at the Sierras.

Oh, and we have a newer Subaru Outback, if that makes any difference on trailheads we can access.

Thanks for any advice you have!

Deb

Re: First California 14er?

by Deb » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:21 am

Williamson and Tyndall make good trip to tag 2 14ers that are both Class 3 and in the same area. Depending on your speed, could easily be done with one night out.

sierraman

by sierraman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:26 am

I'd say Mt. Langley is the best match for your criteria.

Tonka

by Tonka » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:30 am

sierraman wrote:I'd say Mt. Langley is the best match for your criteria.

Yep and you could beat the bushes for a Whitney permit or try and jump on with another group while in Lone Pine. Driving from Vegas to Lone Pine you get to go through Death Valley so bring your swim suite and sun screen.

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:33 pm

As you know, you need a permit for both overnight and day trips in the Whitney Zone (Muir, Whitney, and Russell). There are quotas for these permits. Shasta requires a wilderness permit (free, no quota) and a “summit pass” ($15 per person the last time I was there) for both overnight and day trips. White Mountain Peak is a moderate day hike with no permits or fees. All the other 14ers require permits (with quotas) for overnight trips. There are no restrictions on day trips.

I climbed the Colorado 14ers back in the 90’s. At that time, the ratings in Colorado were sometimes a little inflated compared to what they would be in California. The crux on Williamson is class 3, but I think Roach would have rated it 3+ or maybe even 4.

Shasta and the main trail on Whitney (which takes you right past Muir) will be the most crowded. The Whitney Mountaineers’ Route and Russell won’t be very crowded, but getting a permit may be difficult. You could probably have Split to yourself, but it’s a 7,500 foot climb with an awful road to get to the trailhead. Middle Palisade is a nice climb with ~1,500 feet of class 3 rock. The easiest route on Sill might also be worth considering, but you’ll probably need crampons to cross the glacier. You definitely don’t want to mess with Polemonium, North Palisade, Starlight or Thunderbolt, but you’ll get a spectacular view of them if you do Sill. Tyndall requires a ton of elevation gain, but it’s one of the nicest class 3 scrambles around, and it’s never crowded. Williamson is more about suffering and bragging rights than fun. White Mountain Peak is the easiest 14er, and the walks through the nearby bristlecone pine groves are worthwhile. Finally, I agree that Langley may be your best bet.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:16 pm

bobpickering wrote:Shasta requires a wilderness permit (free, no quota) and a “summit pass” ($15 per person the last time I was there) for both overnight and day trips.

Now $25 for a 3-day summit pass, required if going above 10,000 feet. And I'd say Clear Creek route on Shasta is no where near as crowded as the Main Trail on Whitney. Avy Gulch on Memorial Day weekend, that may be a toss up.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:13 pm

I would second the Mt Langley idea.

If you want a bit more seclusion, instead of the regular Horseshoe Meadows access, drive your car to the Stone House (see Lone Pine Peak routes), take the South fork of Tuttle Creek to Keyhole Wall, then cross country up the Tuttle Creek and to Langley's summit. The canyon is wild, there is absolutely nobody there, the Stone House access is not on the permit quota and the whole trip will be challenging and memorable. If you decided to do this and need more info, PM me.
Cheers, Alois.

Norris

by Norris » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:24 am

I think you should go for the Mountaineer's route on Mt Whitney. This is the climb which is most like the normal route on Long's Peak, except it is easier, shorter, as much or more scenic, and more fun. You can likely get a day hike or even an overnight permit if you follow the process of showing up at the Visitor's Center and (if necessary) participating in a drawing for available permits the same day or the next day. That process (well-documented on threads at http://www.whitneyzone.com) has never failed me. I have ALWAYS scored the permit I wanted in that fashion, even on popular summer weekends, and even for the crowded main trail. Most recently, just last weekend, I showed up on July 2 and could have had either a day hike or an overnight permit for Mt Whitney North Fork of Lone Pine Creek for the same day or following day. I chose Mt Langley via Cottonwood lakes, simply because I had never done that mountain, but Mt Whitney via North Fork of Lone Pine Creek is a much nicer hike/climb. And you won't run into anywhere near the same number of people on the mountaineers route as you would on Longs. Way, way, fewer people.

no avatar
orangjul

by orangjul » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:36 am

Thanks everyone. I did not consider that the class ratings could be slightly different than in Colorado. I picked up the California 14ers book at the library today, so that'll be coming with us!

Return to California