fourth season backpacking with kids and without snow

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
iHartMK

fourth season backpacking with kids and without snow

by iHartMK » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:24 am

my little ones love backpacking and would like to continue through the winter and spring. we live near and backpack in Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP's, but I don't want to take them up into the snow and cold weather. anybody have any favorite non-Sierra, winter backpacking spots you can share? so far I've been thinking Carrizo Plain, Henry Coe, or something on the coast?

fedak

Re: fourth season backpacking with kids and without snow

by fedak » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:42 am

What age kids? (And what are you looking for in # of nights/distance)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:14 am

Point Reyes. Sky Camp, Wild Cat and others are great in the winter. AND, you can get a reservation far easier than summer time.

The following user would like to thank ScottyP for this post
iHartMK

QITNL

by QITNL » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:29 am

Yeah, Point Reyes is real nice in the off-season. Another fun place is Angel Island, kids like that one. There are a couple sites up in the Marin Headlands.

The Ohlone Trail and Black Diamond Mines courtesy the East Bay Parks. Big Basin is cool, but now it's only open in summer - the state parks thing. Maybe the backpackers camp in Castle Rock SP is still open? There are a few other lonely trails in that area, nothing special.

There's no backpacking in the Pinnacles NM, but the campground is real quiet in the winter, and the Pinns are way cool.

I haven't been to Henry Coe yet, I guess I'm due. It sounds pretty rugged - and subject to the state parks thing - but I still haven't figured out the payoff? The pictures i see look pretty boring - just saying.

Big Sur is stunning, on your doorstep to the west. A lot of it is still wrecked from the last fire. I'll defer to Fedak there. I'd also like to hear what he - or anyone else - may recommend.

There will be some more stuff north and south of the range I've covered, but hmm, it strikes me: for a state this big, not a lot of options?

The following user would like to thank QITNL for this post
iHartMK

HungarySagehen

by HungarySagehen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:51 pm

I went for a 5-day trip in Henry W Coe last spring, and it was pretty amazing. Not a lot of prominent peaks to climb, obviously, but I think it would be great for kids for that reason. The topography is really more rolling hills than anything, and there's a solid amount of wildlife and interesting flora. A lot of hiking can be done on well-cleared old access roads, which can make things easier, but it can be rugged elsewhere no doubt. When we were there the spring colors were coming out wonderfully, but I can't really say what it would be like in winter.

The following user would like to thank HungarySagehen for this post
iHartMK

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

by SpazzyMcgee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:31 pm

HungarySagehen wrote:I went for a 5-day trip in Henry W Coe last spring, and it was pretty amazing. Not a lot of prominent peaks to climb, obviously, but I think it would be great for kids for that reason. The topography is really more rolling hills than anything, and there's a solid amount of wildlife and interesting flora. A lot of hiking can be done on well-cleared old access roads, which can make things easier, but it can be rugged elsewhere no doubt. When we were there the spring colors were coming out wonderfully, but I can't really say what it would be like in winter.

"They're just rolling hills!" Haha this statement makes me laugh. I love Henry Coe personally but I would caution about it with kids unless they're pretty gung ho. I think I read somewhere the Spanish explorers called the area the "hills of deception" because the rolling hills turn out to be a lot steeper and challenging than they look from afar. The fire roads and trails are very steep. However I do think winter/spring is by far the best time to go, and it should be beautifully green without too many sock stickers.

One fantastic spot I recommend is Pacheco Falls. It is hidden deep in a canyon near Coit Lake, and makes for an excellent dayhike using Coit as your basecamp. There should be plenty of water in winter, too. Plus fishing is fantastic.

The following user would like to thank SpazzyMcgee for this post
iHartMK

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Joshua Tree is beautiful. The big caveat there though is that you'd have to carry your own water and the only place that people really overnight is on the Boy Scout Trail. I'm not sure if you can get a permit for any place else. Really more of a day hike place. Wonderful for that though. Limitless scrambling and exploring for the kids.

Also, the biggest concerns to your kids wouldn't be the fauna. Out of many, many seasons of climbing out there, I've only seen a tarantula and rattler once. Never seen a scorpian. It's the flora you need to worry about. One close encounter with a cholla and your trip is over.

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
iHartMK

HungarySagehen

by HungarySagehen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:29 pm

SpazzyMcgee wrote:"They're just rolling hills!" Haha this statement makes me laugh. I love Henry Coe personally but I would caution about it with kids unless they're pretty gung ho. I think I read somewhere the Spanish explorers called the area the "hills of deception" because the rolling hills turn out to be a lot steeper and challenging than they look from afar. The fire roads and trails are very steep.

Good point; I guess I was assuming they were some pretty ambitious kids. Still though the steep slops are worth it without a doubt :)

fedak

by fedak » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:08 pm

The old joke is that you go to the Sierra to train for Henry Coe :)

There are a number of easier outings (Frog Lake, Manzanita Flat, China Hole, etc) but in general the Henry Coe elevation profiles are pretty brutal :)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

The following user would like to thank fedak for this post
iHartMK

phydeux

by phydeux » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:37 am

Another for Point Reyes Natl Seashore. If your kids are up to it: Cool loop I did there was Bear Valley to Coast Camp via Mt. Wittenberg (6 miles Day 1), hike along the coast to Wildcat camp (8 miles, Day 2)), then back out to Bear Valley through Sky Camp (6 miles). Great forest scenery, great hike along the coast with a few nice beachside rest stops, and nice hike out on the last day. Its all close to sea level, so pretty simple (vs being at altitude!). And the overnigth campsites have potable water and pit toilets!

Pinnacles Natl Monument is pretty cool too. It would be a car camp with dayhikes, but the volcanic pinnacles are pretty interesting geologic feature. Also two caves along the 'high peaks' loop trail (bring a headlamp for each person!).

Henry Coe State Park - Rolling hill country, but its BRUTAL rolling hills! Better known for its challenging mountain bike terrain.

The following user would like to thank phydeux for this post
iHartMK

paisajeroamericano

by paisajeroamericano » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:00 am

in the ventana wilderness north of big sur, go check out jackson camp - park at bottcher's gap trailhead/campground - hike downhill for several miles on a gated road to pico blanco boy scout camp - from the trailhead at the back of the camp, the left fork heads down within a couple miles to a beautiful creek with old growth redwoods - this hike could be really wet in the heart of the winter, but conditions can be great as late as november and as early as march or april, just look for a dry weather window

in death valley national park, go check out surprise canyon - park at the base of the canyon in panimint valley - hike up an old abandoned jeep road through a beautiful creek filled with cottonwoods - the trail is overgrown and difficult at first, but eventually opens up to an old rock road that continues up to a ghost mining town - there is a shelter where you can stay at the ghost town and there is water 3/4 of the way up there - i even saw a herd of bighorn sheep - this hike is much more difficult than the first suggestion - weather should be great from november to march

another suggestion that comes to mind is the ishii wilderness near chico - this is a volcanic area near deer creek that flows from mount lassen - road conditions may dictate where you can comfortably access and many trails are in poor condition, but i've enjoyed this area in november and february, as well as other times of the year - in fact, there are many locations in the foothills of the sierra that are quite nice in the winter and especially during the spring

good luck

The following user would like to thank paisajeroamericano for this post
iHartMK

Brian Frederick

by Brian Frederick » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:34 am

San Rafael wilderness in Los Padres has some good hiking for kids, especially springtime along the Manzana River; mellow terrain, lots of water and wildflowers, good trail (several creek crossings so not good in height of rainy season), camps at nice intervals. I started my son backpacking there about 3yrs old with a camp less than two miles in and as he got older we just kept getting deeper into the back country.

The following user would like to thank Brian Frederick for this post
iHartMK

inconsolable

by inconsolable » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:30 am

Henry Coe is roller coaster country; most hikes feature at least a couple of nasty, near-vertical passages. Winter runoff (& mountain bikes ruts) can make wet season treks arduous (as can summer 100 degree days). But it is a splendid, varied, & threatened park; do consider checking it out before you lose the opportunity.

The following user would like to thank inconsolable for this post
iHartMK

iHartMK

by iHartMK » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:42 am

they are 7 and 11, and as I said before they love the outdoors!

thanks for all the ideas, I will start checking these spots out.

breadmonster

by breadmonster » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:42 pm

fedak wrote:The old joke is that you go to the Sierra to train for Henry Coe :)

There are a number of easier outings (Frog Lake, Manzanita Flat, China Hole, etc) but in general the Henry Coe elevation profiles are pretty brutal :)

First post ever, so I dunno how much you'll trust my input, but...

I agree with the guys warning that its not just 'rolling hills'. For henry coe you have to be careful which routes you head off on because some can get pretty rugged and would make a 7 year old plop down and refuse to move after a few hundred feet. :shock:

If I remember correctly from going to sequoia often as a kid, the foothills in your area are pretty gentle (hiking and climate wise) for day hikes that can take all day. You don't have to deal with bugs/heat/snakes like in the summer, so it might be cool to experience it offseason.

If overnight is a must and you're willing to drive past gorman, near los angeles in the santa monica mountains or pasadena area you can definitely patch together longer hikes at low elevations to avoid the strain and cold.

Next

Return to California