Easy 1st Time Backpacking Trip with Kids

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Hiker777

Easy 1st Time Backpacking Trip with Kids

by Hiker777 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:47 am

Hi -

I am looking for a relatively easy backpacking trip that can be done with kids. Things I'm trying to find:

1. Something for a large group. We're doing it with other families, so with kids included, our group is 6 adults and 11 kids.
2. Something no further than a 4 hour drive from where we live (Tehachapi).
3. Something that can be done in 3 days.

I've spent way too much time searching. Our group size seems to be the biggest hurdle in finding the perfect hike. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tonka

Re: Easy 1st Time Backpacking Trip with Kids

by Tonka » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:33 pm

I live in Minnesota so I can't really help but I must say you have some cojones taking 11 kids backpacking.

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:02 pm

getting permits for that many will be the biggest hurdle.

look at 20 lakes basin out of saddlebag lake, tioga pass. no quotas there and easy hiking with lots of lakes and views.

could also look into emigrant wilderness areas. I think some trailheads/zones don't have quotas, but maybe too far of a drive for you.

or maybe trailheads out of Beasore Road in Southern Yosemite.

phydeux

by phydeux » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:33 am

Cottonwood Lakes out of Horseshoe Meadows on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Mtns comes to mind. Pretty basic backpack of about 5 miles into the lakes area, second day option are fishing/hiking up to New Army Pass/hike up Cirque Peak (or Mt. Langley for the folks in really good shape), or just hanging around and goofing off. Its a popular place so you'd have to get a permit (maybe two permits since they're limited to 15(?) per permit) now for later in the summer/fall. Probably some options on the west side, too, but the only are I'm familiar with there is Kings Canyon NP, and that's also a popular backpack area that usually requires getting a permit ahead of time, too.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:03 am

Any ideas?

Yes. Reduce the group size. A group of 17 isn't appropriate in most areas.

colinr

by colinr » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:07 pm

Domeland Wilderness is close to Tehachapi and does not require a wilderness permit (only Golden Trout Wilderness requires a permit in Sequoia NF). If hoping to go soon, be sure to check on where the Isabella area smoke is blowing and gathering from the Erskine Fire . If going later in the summer, seasonal creeks may be dry and aiming for the Kern would be important.

https://domelandwilderness.wordpress.com/plan-your-trip/overnight-2-to-3-days/

https://domelandwilderness.wordpress.com

Two easy, large quota/non-quota High Sierra options (Horeshoe Meadows--->Cottonwood Lakes & Saddlebag Lake TH--->20 Lakes Basin) have been mentioned, but you will not be legal with a group size over 15. The other easy, large quota option is Onion Valley TH--->lakes east or west of Kearsarge Pass (east of pass easier), but again you would not be legal. Even with a few less people, you may fail to get walk-in permits for a large group due to competition. Also consider that taking that many inexperienced folks to trailheads that begin at 9-10,000 feet is a huge AMS risk, even if planning an easy trip. I would not want to be responsible for a trip to those locations with group members who have not had previous experience hiking and backpacking at high altitude. Of those three trailheads, Saddlebag Lake is the only non-quota option, and would be the safest for inexperienced backpackers because you can take a boat shuttle in/out to save a bit of effort and almost no elevation gain nor mileage is required to reach a multitude of scenic lakes. Plus, there is a store and restaurant at the trailhead.

If you extend your drive time a little beyond 4 hours, Emigrant Wilderness (mentioned above) is a great non-quota area for family friendly trips, but skeeters tend to be ravenous there early to mid summer and your group is still too large. It is a granitic area similar to Domeland, but with much more water and the accompanying lakes, trees and meadows.

Return to California