Fuji-san in October

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
sweeticicle

Fuji-san in October

by sweeticicle » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:47 am

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with climbing Fuji in late October? I am thinking of doing it solo. I am not so worried about the adverse weather (I've camped out in some pretty hairy situations before), the only thing I am worried about would be avalanche danger. Would October be to early for avalanches?

Also, is there much exposure on the mountain? Which trail would be the preferred route to do this time of year?

Many thanks,

Christine

Muddeer

by Muddeer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:20 am

send Pat Baumann a PM: he did it end of December solo.
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=26130

physics

by physics » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:48 am

I am living in Japan through early next year. I would like to climb it but have made no plans as of yet. If you are up for doing it with a partner, please send me a pm/email. peace

radson

by radson » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:10 am

My partner and I climbed it this year in late May. We needed crampons from the 6th station onwards. I guess anytime of year, potential avalancher danger has to be determined from actual conditions and not from generalisations.

Iainhw

by Iainhw » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:48 am

There's unlikely to be sufficient snow (if any) on fuji in oct to warrant wearing crampons let alone worry about avalanche. Look at a web cam before you go to see if you need crampons/axe. Take the weather forecast seriously, the wind kills people on this mtn...
All routes are pretty similar, fujinomiya and kawaguchiko routes are the standard ones. It'll be a nice time for an ascent as there won't be many people hiking up. Enjoy it.

Return to Asia