Glen Pass Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
EasternSierra

Glen Pass Conditions

by EasternSierra » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 am

Does anyone know what the conditions are like on Glen Pass? I'm taking some of my friends on the Rae Lakes Loop June 30 - July 4th and I'm curious if we're going to have any trouble or need ice axe/crampons, or if trekking poles will be fine.

obsidian

Re: Glen Pass Conditions

by obsidian » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:52 pm

Eastern Sierra,
Here is a link to the Sequoia and King's Canyon National Park webpage describing conditions of the various trails and passes: Trail Conditions, Sequoia and King's Canyon National Parks
We had an incredibly mild winter. I bacpacked into a location at elevation 10,700 ft. (about twenty miles north of Rae Lakes), about three weeks ago,...and there was hardly any snow at all.

The following user would like to thank obsidian for this post
EasternSierra

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:48 pm

We were at 11k on 28 May in Kings and there was very little left at that level immediately after the previous two day's storm (some deeper deposits at 12-13k, but not a great deal); if we don't get another dump btw now and then, Glen pass will be easily passable w/o special gear

That having been said, the North side of Glen tends to hold quite a bit of late snow, so i'd pack an axe just in case. My two cents

The following user would like to thank sharperblue for this post
EasternSierra

EasternSierra

by EasternSierra » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks for the Answers. I read the trail conditions on the SEKI website; however, I like to check these forums too to get a consensus.

I've had some sketchy experiences in the past like going over New Army Pass on July 4, 2010 when there was a cornice hanging over the top, so I'd like to try and get as much information as possible before I head out.

obsidian

by obsidian » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Eastern Sierra,
UPDATE: I was just up in Bishop shopping, and there was a group of backpackers there with humongeous backpacks, with ice axes strapped to their packs. So, I asked them if they had to use their ice axes,...and, they replied that they had just come off the John Muir Trail,...exiting at Kearsarge Pass, after having ascended Forester Pass (13,153 feet),...and they didn't have to use their ice axes at all. They were doing the Pacific Crest Trail.
...Dang,...they looked pretty sincere to me,...

Return to California