Good spot to buy food?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
NW

Good spot to buy food?

by NW » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:52 pm

We are doing the Whitney trail this summer. Our plane lands in L.A. and what I'm wondering is where is a good place to pick up some good camping/hiking food somewhere between L.A. and Lone Pine? We're not that fussy about what we bring but a nice cheap food source would be great!

ExcitableBoy

Re: Good spot to buy food?

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Trader Joe's (I think there is one in Pasadena) is my favorite store for climbing/hiking food. Think outside of the box and you can get some really great food for reasonable prices. They have Indian Fare retort packaged Indian entrees that go great with a package of pre cooked rice. Also lots of bagels, cheeses, saugsages, instant soups, nuts, dried fruit, trail mixes, instant coffee, instant flavored oatmeal/hot cereal, every type of Cliff/Power/Luna type bar.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
NW

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:35 pm

There are lots of options, i.e. grocery stores, between LA and Lancaster. Get further than that and the options get thin.

The following user would like to thank DukeJH for this post
NW

no avatar
fluxlib

by fluxlib » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:59 pm

There's a Trader Joes in Palmdale right off the 14 FWY, which will be your route up to 395 from LA. There's also a Target right across the street that sells all the cool drink mixes, a grocery store within a few blocks, and a Sports Chalet within a block where you can get freeze dried stuff there as well as Gu and Shot Blocks and hydration drinks. All of these places are normal prices and right next to each other with plenty of parking, something you might not get in LA.

Joes has a great selection of nuts, trail mixes, oatmeal, food bars, packaged meals, etc.

After that, you are into the big void of the Eastern Sierra. There are stores in Lone Pine, but you will pay more and not have selection.

The following user would like to thank fluxlib for this post
NW

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:00 pm

+1 for Trader Joes, but it you need something at the last minute there's a Bi Rite market in Lone Pine that's not too bad (and for really, really last minute purchases, there's the Whitney Portal store). There's huge Vons and Smart and Final supermarkets about an hour north in Bishop, where there's also a good gear shop (Wilson's).

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
NW

Rob

by Rob » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Stater Bros market in Mojave is excellent.

And it's very convenient since you drive right past it. It's on your right at the very end of town, if your'e heading horth.

The following user would like to thank Rob for this post
NW

Climber Dave

by Climber Dave » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:13 pm

+2 on TJ's and supermarkets, but if you have your heart set on freeze dried meals you can hit REI in LA area. Also in Lone Pine you have Lone Pine Sporting goods, which I think has a small amount the stuff and also maybe Elevation (not sure they have any but you could call)

The following user would like to thank Climber Dave for this post
NW

NW

by NW » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:45 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not set on freeze dried or anything in particular. Just looking for some local(ish) input so we don't waste time looking when we could have simply asked.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:28 pm

You probably already know this, but (especially) if you're doing the Whitney trail as a dayhike it's a good idea to choose your trail food the same way you might choose the food for an endurance race. I.e., bring food that you know in advance you will find palatable and can eat even if you feel nauseous. While you won't be working as hard as you would on (say) a marathon, it is a 20+ mile round trip and the altitude can make you lose your appetite.

Return to California