Google Earth support on California Thirteeners site

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
schmed

Google Earth support on California Thirteeners site

by schmed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:12 am

Fellow California Climbers,

I've just completed a significant update to my VRMC California Thirteeners site. I'm now using the Google Earth plugin to display interactive 3-D maps of the peaks on this and other peak lists. Here's a picture of what this support looks like in your browser after installing the plugin:

========================================================

========================================================

Although this post is certainly a shameless act of self-promotion, I am finding the new Google Earth panel quite useful for showing my wife and others where I've been, conducting future trip planning, etc. I hope that at least some of you will try my site out and that you will find it useful as well.

A few additional features of interest:

* In addition to the California Thirteeners, I also have pages listing the California Fourteeners, 50 Highest, 100 Highest, 4000-Meter Peaks, and 150 Highest.
* Climbers can register a user name & password to begin keeping track of their own progress toward completing the list(s).
* Info balloons and detail pages link back to peak pages here at SummitPost.org.
* Each detail page includes an interactive 2-D Google Map that can display TerraServer USGS topographic images (and other map types).
* KML files can also be downloaded to view peak lists within the separate Google Earth application.
* Registered climbers can employ their own criteria for which peaks are considered passing, marginal, or failing (e.g., the Fourteeners using interpolated contours for key saddle heights includes Mt. Muir).

Enjoy,

- Schmed

schmed

Fixed bug in auto-download of Google Earth plug-in

by schmed » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Gang,

I apparently introduced a problem in my code late in the game that was preventing the Google Earth plug-in download page from appearing if the user didn't already have the plug-in installed in his/her browser. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that this was broken until today. This has now been fixed in case anyone was wondering why the Google Earth panel wasn't working for them.

Sorry,

- Schmed

Return to California