Gouter Route in Mid May? (Solo)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
chickentikka

Gouter Route in Mid May? (Solo)

by chickentikka » Tue May 06, 2014 10:47 pm

Hey,

Thinking of trying the gouter route in a weeks time. I would ski up grand mulets but I can't seem to find a partner, so was thinking about trying my luck on Gouter. I know the cabin won't be open (so will need to use winter route). Will there most likely be a decent footpath up the mountain or would I have to most likely be breaking trail non-stop?

My understanding is that wind blows most of the snow off gouter (so it shouldn't be that deep).

macintosh

Re: Gouter Route in Mid May? (Solo)

by macintosh » Wed May 07, 2014 8:08 am

chickentikka wrote:My understanding is that wind blows most of the snow off gouter (so it shouldn't be that deep).

Too early for a climb Goûter side. This webcam picture is from yesterday.

http://m.webcam-hd.com/evasion/mont-arbois

The following user would like to thank macintosh for this post
chickentikka

chickentikka

Re: Gouter Route in Mid May? (Solo)

by chickentikka » Fri May 16, 2014 8:18 pm

I went up today just for the Hell of it ... and to acclimatize. I didn't even get to the top of the train tracks before I was stunned with tons of snow. It was still manageable, but this was not a good indicator of what could be waiting for me higher, so I headed back down and am now enjoying a beer.

I don't think there is any way this route is ready for at least a month. AT LEAST a month!

Return to Europe