gran paradiso

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
dovber

gran paradiso

by dovber » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm

My name is DovBer Cowan and I am hoping to join my two friends for an expedition to climb Gran Paradiso this June.We are hoping to raise money via sponsorship for an Orphanage in the Ukraine.
We are all in our early 30's and we are generally in good physical shape - however we are already beginning a regime to be at the peak of physical fitness for the climb.
I have a question which perhaps someone out there could help me with.
I have a mild fear of heights!! (yes!) - Nothing too crazy, it's just that If I am faced with a cliff edge where there is a sheer drop I get very very nervous. (for example I get very nervous being on the balcony of a very high level of a tower block).
I really would like to conquer this fear, and I might even see a professional to help me before I go, however I just wanted to ask about the peak of Gran Paradiso. It seems like the ascent is banked by a snowy slope which shouldn't be problematic, however, I cannot tell if, once at the peak, there are any edges whereby there would be a sheer drop down (i,e something that would be very vey problemtaic for someone with a mild fear of heights). Could anyone enlighten me regarding the situation at the peak?
Many thanks in advance,
DovBer Cowan

gabr1

Re: gran paradiso

by gabr1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:09 pm

if i'm not mistaken there should be a short rocky section near the summit, but from pics i saw it should not be anything too "scary"... But take my words with caution, i onlysaw photos of it.

Anyway, i have your same problem. But the funny thing is that i only get it when on artificial structures...
Hanging from a belay station at 50 meters in the air, with nothing but air under me creates no problem. Going near the edge of a Santa Maria Novella's steeple in Florence gave me shaky legs...

Strange world, lol

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:28 pm

the last section of Gran Paradiso normal route (up to the Madonnina) is made of a narrow rocky ridge with some exposure on both sides - to get the real summit you have to go on some tens meters along a thin snow ridge where exposure is real.
If you fear exposure you better go and climb the Breithorn from Cervinia or Zermatt (expensive)

Australopitecus

by Australopitecus » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi,
the normal route by vitorio Emanuelle refuge its EASY the last part you have to do a horizontal pass on rock of about 2 meters but you find fixed ropes and a few bolts...nice mountain bye.

Gran Paradiso por vikingsur, en Flickr

view of the last part from the madonina..lots of people jajajaj funy place

tomshaw

by tomshaw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:38 pm

There is a bit of exposure on the summit ridge/blocks all protectable however. Perhaps the worst part is it gets quite crowded. A magnificent mountain and Summit Scramble. :D

Return to Europe