Hilleberg Tents : Unna vs Rogen?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
tbessie

Hilleberg Tents : Unna vs Rogen?

by tbessie » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi all...

I bought a Hilleberg Unna recently (I like the two-pole design), but after receiving it and setting it up in my house, I realized (with help from discussions about it online) that it doesn't vent that well, since it seems designed to be able to handle extreme weather, especially snow-loads and such.

Since I don't plan on doing any winter camping, I wonder if I got "too much tent" for my needs. Hilleberg said they'd swap it for a different tent if I prefer, and I was looking at the Rogen as something that'd be better for the 3 season use I intend on putting it to (both car camping and backcountry camping).

Does anyone have an opinion on these two tents?

- Tim

connollyck

Re: Hilleberg Tents : Unna vs Rogen?

by connollyck » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:05 am

The Unna is a great tent, I have one (and own 3 Hillebergs), but you are right, there is not a lot of ventilation with the regular inner tent. To solve this I purchased the mesh inner tent for use in warm weather. Best of both worlds. The Unna is a much stronger tent with better guyout points. I wouldn't want to be in a Rogen in high wind. YMMV

Return to Gear