Hines Peak (Ventura County, CA)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
surgent

Hines Peak (Ventura County, CA)

by surgent » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:12 am

Does anyone have good, recent information on the route(s) up Hines Peak in the Topatopa Range near Ojai/Santa Paula?

Via phone, the Ranger at the Los Padres NF in Ojai was deliberately (?) vague regarding a trail up Hines, but I think he was thinking of an official, maintained trail.

Is there an advantage to starting in Santa Paula/Sisar Avenue TH vs. a route from the north?

Thanks in advance. It'll be just me, no 13yo kids setting youngest-to-do-this-or-that records :). I'm looking for mid-May. I don't mind a 20-mile hike but if I can knock off a few of the boring road miles with my truck, then I would consider it.

Ze

by Ze » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:01 am

Rob

by Rob » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:41 am

Did you look at the Summitpost page?

All the info is there, and some pictures of the trail. It's really easy, so I doubt much has changed lately. Sisar canyon is the way to go. A mountain bike would be nice on the road section, though Sisar canyon would be difficult going up, but doable.

The last section of trail up to the peak isn't maintained, but it's quite obvious which way to go.

no avatar
lakenyon

by lakenyon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:38 am

The HPS guide has more information. Unless you manage to drive up the Nordhoff Ridge Road, Sisar Canyon is the easiest route, though certainly not the only one. A lot of the Sisar Canyon approach is on a dirt road and therefore less than exciting, but some of it (e.g., the area around White Ledge) is still quite nice. The approach via Santa Paula Canyon is much harder and slower.

Return to California