Is anyone else on SP living in China?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Cloud Ocean

Is anyone else on SP living in China?

by Cloud Ocean » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:55 am

I'm living in North-west China for the next year and a half, so I'm close to loads of peaks - maybe a day to get into 5000m-6000m mountains. I have all of my gear here, but don't know any locals or expats who are into mountaineering. Comes with living in a low-tier city, I suppose. I can speak Chinese conversationally, certainly well enough to sort out logistics and get things done on-site. I guess I could look to join a Chinese club/team, but I have no idea where they advertise, or if they would even accept a lone foreigner for more involved climbs.

Anyone else living around here want to talk climbing, maybe make some plans? The weather is getting warmer, and it'd be awesome to spend some weekends outdoors. On a bigger scale, I'd love to scheme about knocking off an easy 6000er in Qinghai, for example.

atavist

Re: Is anyone else on SP living in China?

by atavist » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:00 pm

If you are living you are doing pretty good. I'm dying over here. :p

Not close to Qinghai but I can meet for a trip. Keep me posted.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:13 pm

I'm looking into a Kyrgyzstan/Western China trip in the next two years. If I move it up sooner I'll def let you know.

Cloud Ocean

by Cloud Ocean » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:34 am

atavist wrote:If you are living you are doing pretty good. I'm dying over here. :p

Not close to Qinghai but I can meet for a trip. Keep me posted.

Ha, I suspect that I know what you mean! Spring is finally here though, hang in there :)

I'm thinking that 7-10 days would be enough time to climb a 5000-6000er near here, depending on access. Yuzhu Feng ( http://www.summitpost.org/yuzhu-feng/151068 ) looks accessible, straightforward, and seems beautiful from the photos floating around. There's enough information for planning, but not enough to ruin the adventure. I think that this one or something like it would be a very reasonable solo or small team goal.

I'm thinking of heading into that area in late August or during the national holidays in October - maybe even both if August happens and goes well.

Edit: There's also a 5 and a half day holiday in May, 4/30 through 5/6.

Return to Asia