Jacket for a beginner

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
yasi

Jacket for a beginner

by yasi » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:33 pm

I wanna start mountaineering this winter, ive already done a lot of research and found almost all the gear needed except softshell pants - i think cirque 2 will be good but you could suggest something else and jackets. I have base layer and a fleece but i am not sure what jacket/jackets to buy. Im gonna be climbing from 2500-4500m if i go to the alps but for now only in my home country at like 2500-3000m. I am not sure if i can just buy a softshell and maybe a bit later a hardshell and be alright or do i need mid layer jackets like down and synthetic or will i be ok for now at 2500-3000m with only a base, a fleece and a softshell and maybe a hardshell jacket.

Woodswalker

Re: Jacket for a beginner

by Woodswalker » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:52 am

Pick one that seems reasonable, try it out, see what happens, and adjust accordingly.
It shouldn't be that complicated.

nartreb

by nartreb » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:35 am

I'm a big fan of real down. It's more expensive, but it's light and it compresses easily. (The one drawback is that it doesn't perform when wet, and doesn't dry quickly.) Don't skimp on warmth when you're climbing. There will be times when you are forced to stop moving, and you need to be able to throw on something extra warm, quickly.

Expect the climate in the Alps to be cooler than in the southern Carpathians, even at equal altitudes.

no avatar
Jaabo

by Jaabo » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:54 pm

yasi wrote:I wanna start mountaineering this winter, ive already done a lot of research and found almost all the gear needed except softshell pants - i think cirque 2 will be good but you could suggest something else and jackets. I have base layer and a fleece but i am not sure what jacket/jackets to buy. Im gonna be climbing from 2500-4500m if i go to the alps but for now only in my home country at like 2500-3000m. I am not sure if i can just buy a softshell and maybe a bit later a hardshell and be alright or do i need mid layer jackets like down and synthetic(there are a few at the local running shop) or will i be ok for now at 2500-3000m with only a base, a fleece and a softshell and maybe a hardshell jacket.

Just go to a local sports/climbing store and pick whatever feels the most comfortable. If you looking for budget stuff you probably going with synthetic anyway, nat down jackets are hella expensive, esp good ones.

Return to Gear