Khan Tengri Visa

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Ski Mountaineer

Khan Tengri Visa

by Ski Mountaineer » Tue May 06, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi!

Is there a way to get to Khan Tengri Northern BC (Kazakh side) without a Kyrgyz Visa, flying in from Kyrgyzstan?
I ASSume not, but maybe there is?

Thanks,
SM

no avatar
Hunter

Re: Khan Tengri Visa

by Hunter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:29 am

No, as far as I know you will need visa anyway.

msumountainman

by msumountainman » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:03 am

I'm pretty sure there is not. The helicopter to the North Inylchek glacier for the North side route is flown out of Kyrgyzstan. The Kyrgyz visa is very easy to get though. I believe you can get it at the airport or most any border crossing. I've entered Kyrgyzstan both ways and had no problem. Getting a Kazakhstan visa was more work and had to be applied for ahead of time.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:09 am

Ski Mountaineer wrote:Is there a way to get to Khan Tengri Northern BC (Kazakh side) without a Kyrgyz Visa, flying in from Kyrgyzstan?

I was told you can do it, but you'd need a Kazakh visa. There are flights between the two BCs, but not sure how often.

Note that nationals of most countries no longer need a Kyrgyz visa, you just get one at the airport, no letter needed. Kazakhstan still requires a letter and visa though.

Return to Asia