Looking for Information on climbing routes in Big Bear

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
bghasseler

Looking for Information on climbing routes in Big Bear

by bghasseler » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 am

Im trying to take a group up to Lake Silverwood For Climbing does anyone know some good spots to go climbing? looking for some good TR or Sport Routes.

bghasseler

by bghasseler » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 am

this lake is by Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:45 am

Big Bear area, Holcomb Valley Pinnacles, they are listed here on SP. It might be a bit early for a trip there, there are dirt road closures in effect in winter. But a bit later in the spring, a good place to mess around.

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:20 am

There is a published climbing guide for this area that is pretty good. I can't recall if it lists a lot in Lake Arrowhead, although I think some of it is covered. It does do a very good job in the Big Bear area...i'll get off the couch in a bit to check it out. I picked it up at the REI in Santa Monica last summer and went up there a handful of times. I led all the stuff we climbed, but i think some of the spots can be scrambled up and top roped, Castle Crag comes to mind.

Alright just looked in the book I have, it is Big Bear East and I noticed Lake Silverwood is pretty far away. It is not in the book I have so I can't comment on that area specifically. The climbs in the area will probably have lingering snow right now unless they are South or West facing (my assumption).

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:02 pm

I have that book - picked it up for climbing at Holcomb Valley Pinnacles -

http://www.mountain-n-air.com/Hidden_Tr ... 558518.htm

As Alois points out, there is also some info on SP -

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... acles.html

There is also some coverage on mountainproject -

http://mountainproject.com/v/california ... /105805238

Seems to be some info on other places in the San Bernardino mtns -

http://mountainproject.com/v/california ... /105793881

Perhaps ask there too ? I would post a query on supertopo.com as well.

no avatar
tomd

by tomd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:27 am

you might try to borrow the first edition of that guidebook, which included the Lake Arrowhead area.
The second edition so far is just the eastern volume, the western stuff might be volume 2 if/when it is done.

Deb

by Deb » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:13 am

Lake Arrowhead Pinnacles!

But why would you be taking people to climb somewhere that you don't even know where the climbing is?

bghasseler

by bghasseler » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:44 am

But why would you be taking people to climb somewhere that you don't even know where the climbing is?

Great question. I am Helping a church group who has already decided to take a group of High School kids here. So I am trying to find a place to introduce them to the sport and have a good time so I will be visiting this place several times beforehand. [/quote]

Deb

by Deb » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:25 pm

TacoDelRio wrote:AFAIK there are no climbing spots right around Silverwood.

Lake Arrowhead Pinnacles would be the closest area to Silverwood...and less snow than Holcomb Valley Pinnacles.

bghasseler

by bghasseler » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:55 am

i visited the Lake arrowhead pinnacles for the first time las weekend they look great i am not sure which wall i visited but it was very overgrown as far as trails is there a better wall for lots of people and staging areas

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:36 pm

bghasseler wrote:i visited the Lake arrowhead pinnacles for the first time las weekend they look great i am not sure which wall i visited but it was very overgrown as far as trails is there a better wall for lots of people and staging areas

Why dont you take this big group to a indoor gym?????

Or to some not popular place? Like Big Rock?

GK :P

Aaron Dyer

by Aaron Dyer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:58 pm

The nature of the Lake Arrowhead Pinnacles is that they are kind of bushwhacky and not well maintained. Not a great deal of top-rope access, but there is some on the Ugly Wall, which is on the west side of the meadows you enter after the slog uphill. There is a lot of decent climbing at the summit pinnacles, but I would not want to take a large group there.

A slightly intermediate area to get to that offers some harder routes that you can TR access is the Skull Area, directly behind the Butt. Good luck if you go back there; it can be a little difficult to navigate if you don't know where you are going.

Return to California