Mahogany Flat campground

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
tonyo

Mahogany Flat campground

by tonyo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:04 pm

Does anyone have an idea of the chances of getting a campsite at either Mahogany Flat or Emigrant campground in Death Valley late Friday night on Labor Day weekend? Hate to drive all that way and get shut out... Any other options for camping in the area that don't include the valley floor or backpacking in? Appreciate any help!

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Did you mean Wildrose instead of Emigrant? (4100 ft versus 2100 ft.)

Anyway, there is also Thorndike, which is close to Mahogany Flat and at 7400.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/camping.htm

I cannot advise regarding the chances; I have not camped in deva campgrounds.

tonyo

by tonyo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Yes, Wildrose. Emigrant would be last resort. It's gonna be hot in DV this weekend.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Mahogany Flat (8200') is pretty popular, and doesn't have that many sites; they are all in a line along the ridge. The least-used area is probably the N-most; I'm not sure that it would be that fun to set up there in the dark. If you sleep in the vehicle, you might be able to park at the Telescope Peak trailhead.

mrchad9

Re: Mahogany Flat campground

by mrchad9 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:54 pm

1000Pks wrote:
tonyo wrote:Does anyone have an idea of the chances of getting a campsite at either Mahogany Flat or Emigrant campground in Death Valley late Friday night on Labor Day weekend? Hate to drive all that way and get shut out... Any other options for camping in the area that don't include the valley floor or backpacking in? Appreciate any help!

In the other NPs they do double duty to look for errant campers. We tried sleeping in the car once, and a ranger came by at midnight or 1 a.m. to rouse me out. He was nice, just saying, "You can't camp here." Luckily, we found a spot outside the park and just tossed out our bags. On BLM land, primitive camping anywhere in the desert is allowed. If there are no spots at a legal site, just be prepared to drive to plan b. Have little idea about DV on Labor Day, but I'd say you may have little problem. Of course there can be a large enviro group of 40 people hogging up every spot, go check their websites for scheduled trips as a heads up.

I thought in Death Valley you can dispersed camp pretty much anywhere, except for the main valley floor?

EDIT:
Seems you can camp nearly anywhere- if not on a paved road.

Where is backcountry camping allowed?
More than two miles away from any developed area, paved road, or "day use only" area.
Camp only in previously disturbed areas and park your vehicle close to the roadway to minimize impact.
http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/backcamp.htm

no avatar
Edgewood

by Edgewood » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Last year we just drove north out of the park on the way to Saline Valley. There are not many places to pull off the road but we found one three to five miles past the road to U crater.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:29 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
More than two miles away from any developed area, paved road, or "day use only" area.
Camp only in previously disturbed areas and park your vehicle close to the roadway to minimize impact.

The canyons on the east side of the Panamints don't get too high in elevation for quite a ways; I have to think they will be quite hot this weekend. The dirt roads in tend to be pretty rough. My memory is fuzzy, but I think Emigrant Pass has fairly benign ground right off the side of the dirt roads up there; in contrast, some canyon roads spend a long time going over very rough ground.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/u ... aint-2.pdf

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:03 pm

1000Pks wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
1000Pks wrote:
tonyo wrote:Does anyone have an idea of the chances of getting a campsite at either Mahogany Flat or Emigrant campground in Death Valley late Friday night on Labor Day weekend? Hate to drive all that way and get shut out... Any other options for camping in the area that don't include the valley floor or backpacking in? Appreciate any help!

In the other NPs they do double duty to look for errant campers. We tried sleeping in the car once, and a ranger came by at midnight or 1 a.m. to rouse me out. He was nice, just saying, "You can't camp here." Luckily, we found a spot outside the park and just tossed out our bags. On BLM land, primitive camping anywhere in the desert is allowed. If there are no spots at a legal site, just be prepared to drive to plan b. Have little idea about DV on Labor Day, but I'd say you may have little problem. Of course there can be a large enviro group of 40 people hogging up every spot, go check their websites for scheduled trips as a heads up.

I thought in Death Valley you can dispersed camp pretty much anywhere, except for the main valley floor?

EDIT:

In another park, the ranger explained to me that other people are paying and it's not then fair to them. They say to camp in designated sites only, mostly, and I for one wouldn't like to see thousands of campers going behind trees and to the bushes, and digging cat holes everywhere.

If there are no regular campsites, then I guess it's cool.

I ALWAYS dispearsed camp these days. No matter to me if there are campground spots or not. I'm not a big fan of camping amongst RVs and other groups of people. Plus many campgrounds these days are $18-$21. Not worth it when you can settle into a place of your own and enjoy the quiet around you.

If the rangers think it isn't fair, well, so what?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:22 pm

1000Pks wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
1000Pks wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
1000Pks wrote:

EDIT:

In another park, the ranger explained to me that other people are paying and it's not then fair to them. They say to camp in designated sites only, mostly, and I for one wouldn't like to see thousands of campers going behind trees and to the bushes, and digging cat holes everywhere.

If there are no regular campsites, then I guess it's cool.

I ALWAYS dispearsed camp these days. No matter to me if there are campground spots or not. I'm not a big fan of camping amongst RVs and other groups of people. Plus many campgrounds these days are $18-$21. Not worth it when you can settle into a place of your own and enjoy the quiet around you.

If the rangers think it isn't fair, well, so what?

Dummy.

They can cite you.

I'd get a map and look for desolate side roads out of the park. I once kept notes on where I could do this, but now I lodge and help out the local economy. I'd get a room in Ridgecrest, it's cheap there, if a bit noisy at night due to rowdies on the streets.

'Tard

Dispearsed camping is ALLOWED.

Read the posts you quoted.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:32 pm

I've had several rangers at different parks recommend dispersed camping on the adjacent BLM and USFS land. Some will even tell me the best spots.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:47 pm

mrchad9 wrote:'Tard

Dispearsed camping is ALLOWED.

Read the posts you quoted.

+1

:roll: <-- for calling someone "dummy" when that someone is in fact correct.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:44 pm

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.26560&lon=-117.19036&site=vef&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Should be pretty decent at night above 4000 feet (Wildrose, etc.), unless you're planning to sleep in a down bag.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Day Hiker wrote:http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.26560&lon=-117.19036&site=vef&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Should be pretty decent at night above 4000 feet (Wildrose, etc.), unless you're planning to sleep in a down bag.

Yeah. But he was talking about September 1974.

tonyo

by tonyo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I think we'll head up to Mahogany and take our chances; if it's full we'll look for dispersed camping. Can you park at the Telescope Peak trail head (not the charcoal kilns) if you don't camp at Mahogany?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:41 pm

tonyo wrote:Thanks for all the advice! I think we'll head up to Mahogany and take our chances; if it's full we'll look for dispersed camping. Can you park at the Telescope Peak trail head (not the charcoal kilns) if you don't camp at Mahogany?

Yes, you can park at the TH if you are not camping at Mahogany Flats.

Next

Return to California