Mid West Meetups?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:11 am

I'm still up for a day trip Sat., but it depends on the weather.

Outside wrote:I want to go, need to go. what are the plans? I've never done any rock but would like a lesson or two. Will this be a good opportunity to do some bouldering? I'll go back and read the entire thread to get up to speed. I'm looking forward to meeting some climbers. God, this place is flat.

Plenty of bouldering around; I've only checked out some of the easier problems across from Leaning Tower, but mountainproject lists a bunch more bouldering spots.

Greeneggs

by Greeneggs » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Outside wrote:I want to go, need to go. what are the plans? I've never done any rock but would like a lesson or two. Will this be a good opportunity to do some bouldering? I'll go back and read the entire thread to get up to speed. I'm looking forward to meeting some climbers. God, this place is flat.

If you want to learn, I suggest Mountain Gear's learn-to-climb weekend at Devil's Lake Oct 17-18:

http://www.mountaingear.com/uclimb/?roi ... ttr=banner

no avatar
alpinejason

by alpinejason » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:51 pm

hello all. i've been MIA for several weeks. but i think there's still plans to climb at DL the weekend of July 11/12. i'm still cool with that do count me in. i was just up there last weekend through the hot muggy weather and wicked storms. two days of good climbing though. i have some gear, but no rope. i might need a ride from the chicago area though... my wagoneer is being stubborn. keep me in the loop anyway.

cheers.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:27 pm

Just about anyone who is fit can climb low class 5 rock with minimal instruction. Do you have a harness and shoes?

I was thinking we'd drop a few top ropes in one area so we can climb several different routes. You'll be perfectly safe on a top rope, even without any experience.

I've got a rope and gear. Whoever else has one, please bring it along with plenty of webbing. Many of the anchor points at DL (trees, etc.) are located away from the edge, so extra webbing is needed.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:20 am

G-ddamnit! woodsxc is out for July meet-up. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Outside

by Outside » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Alpinist, I have a harness but not shoes. Willing to get some though. What do you recommend for starters?

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:59 pm

As a beginner, I think fit and comfort is more important than getting a hard core climbing shoe that is not very comfortable. Try on a pair of Mythos by La Sportiva. If they fit, I think that'll be a great starter shoe for you.

Edit: Hardcore rock climbers often wear shoes 1 or 2 sizes too small. While that may be helpful for climbing 5.10+ routes, it is really quite uncomfortable. I don't recommend that for beginners. I started down that road and it was just too painful to enjoy climbing. Don't let your local REI sales person talk you into doing that. You really don't need exra small shoes for climbing easy/moderate routes.
Last edited by Alpinist on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:31 pm

I have an extra pair of Mythos by La Sportiva 9.5. I actually have an extra harness also. If anyone needs it just let me know. I think I may be bringing a few random people with me also.

Outside

by Outside » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Wow, 9.5 is perfect. Whats the chance of that? If I could borrow them for the day, I'd be forced to buy beers for the kind soul who helped me out. I have a harness and a handful of biners (I'm usually on snow or unroped). Thanks

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:01 am

No problem man, I'll pack em.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:42 pm

So, I'm just coming for the day on Saturday. Wondering where everyone wants to meet. I was thinking the CCC parking area around 930, maybe 10? Let me know. Thanks

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:33 am

How about we meet at the CMC campground at 9am, since some of us are going to camp there.

DIRECTIONS
The CMC campround is located near the west entrance to the park.
- Take Ski Hill Road off of Rt 12.
- Turn Rt onto Burma Road.
- Follow Burma Road straight south as it becomes a gravel road. (Do not turn or follow the paved road as it curves into the park.)
- Entrance to the CMC campground is on the left side after 3-4 blocks. It is somewhat hidden, so keep a close eye out. If there is a chain blocking the entrance, just unhook it.

Look for my purple Mustang. Remember, this is a private campground. If a CMC member questions who you are with (they are suppose to challenge strangers), tell them you are with me; George Naxera. I will be arriving around 9:30pm Friday night.

CAMPGROUND RULES
Everyone that uses the CMC campground must abide by the campground rules.

At times other than CMC outing weekends, only CMC members may use the campground. Nonmembers may use the campground only when accompanied by a CMC member. A CMC member must collect camping fees from nonmembers and members who did not pay an annual campground fee and then remit them to the Outing Chair or other Board members.

Fees: Members - $25 annual fee or $10.00 per person/per weekend, or any part thereof.
Nonmembers - $10 per person per weekend.
Spouses of members - same as members.
Member's children under 18 years - free.

Note: Members have a responsibility to pay camping fees for themselves and their guests to the Outing Chair or any Board member in the campground at the earliest opportunity.

The CMC prohibits pets, the possession of firearms, and fireworks in the campground.

The possession, delivery or sale of controlled substances, as defined and prohibited by the State of Wisconsin, is likewise prohibited on all camping grounds and facilities controlled by the CMC.

All tent sites are first come, first choice. Tents must be moved every 3 days.

No camping at the group campfire area.

Park within 10 feet of the road, not at your tent site.

Dispose of all refuse in suitable containers outside the campground.

The CMC prohibits cutting and/or removing wood from the park campground and/or property.

Everyone using the campground must be courteous to their fellow campers. Loud music and noise are prohibited at all times and especially after dark.

No house or camping trailers.

Fires:
a. Use established fire pits -- do not make new ones.
b. Cooking fires only -- conserve fuel.
c. Social campfires at the group campfire site only.
d. Extinguish your cooking fires before leaving campground.

Member’s children over age 18 are subject to the same rules as other nonmembers.

Members must present a current membership card upon request, if they wish to use the campground.

There is no extended camping allowed without prior written permission from the CMC Board of Directors.

As a reminder, it is illegal to transport wood over state lines in IL/WI. Please help to prevent the spread of the Emerald Ash Borer by following this important rule. Hopefully, we can purchase some firewood in Baraboo. If anyone arrives early Friday and can get some wood, I'll definitely pitch in for the cost.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:39 am

woodsxc wrote:G-ddamnit! woodsxc is out for July meet-up. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

C'mon dude, you started this! You can't bail out...!

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:31 am

Alpinist wrote:How about we meet at the CMC campground at 9am, since some of us are going to camp there.

Are you going to hike to the bluffs from the CMC campground?

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:01 am

No, we'll car pool from the CMC campground over to the CCC lot. It will be less expensive that way. Otherwise, everyone would need to purchase an admission sticker for their car to park at the CCC lot. (You don't need a sticker to park at the CMC campground.) Stickers cost $35/annual or $10/daily for non-residents.

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)