Monch vs Weissmies?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
marving

Monch vs Weissmies?

by marving » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Which would be a better first time experience? Weissmies as a day trip though from the Hohass lift and back or Monch Southeast ridge? Can't do any overnights, thanks!

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: Monch vs Weissmies?

by Flachlandtiroler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:52 am

I Suppose as a first timer you bring a mountain guide for that?

Mönch is far more serious in terms of steepness, you have to have experience with crampoons & ice axis.
Weissmies has some crevasses i.e. glacier travel, but it is straightforward technically.

Both peaks are rewarding. Weissmies should be more suitable IMHO.

no avatar
marving

by marving » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:18 am

Flachlandtiroler wrote:I Suppose as a first timer you bring a mountain guide for that?

Mönch is far more serious in terms of steepness, you have to have experience with crampoons & ice axis.
Weissmies has some crevasses i.e. glacier travel, but it is straightforward technically.

Both peaks are rewarding. Weissmies should be more suitable IMHO.

Thanks, we ended up climbing the Monch Southeast Ridge, I found it very straightforward and not steep at all so I'm glad we did that instead of Weissmies as I was actually craving something more technical. There was one 2m rocky crux near the top arrete, and the top arrete while exposed on the one side was probably the easiest part of the whole climb, just walking up a fairly gentle slope on stable snow. I've probably gone up worse in ski boots with no crampons :)

How does Mont Blanc Gouter route compare? Wondering what we could do next that would be technically as or more interesting.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:55 am

If you found the Mönch easy and are considering Mont Blanc, there are more interesting routes than the Gouter, such as the Three Mounts Traverse. Technically a bit harder, and it requires a higher level of fitness.

If you are in excellent shape, you could consider making it a traverse by combining it with the Gonella route.

Return to Europe