Most rewarding/favorite summit

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Basham

Most rewarding/favorite summit

by Basham » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:41 pm

As you have probably learned, I'm more for mountains than cliffs and backpacking trips. Everybody that has also read my previous posts knows what my answer is. I want to know what yours was. If you can decide (those that have been doing this the majority of their life might have difficulty answering).

ExcitableBoy

Re: Most rewarding/favorite summit

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:47 pm

I suppose the answer depends upon the rubric one would apply to answer such a question. Based on the number of times I've repeated a route/mountain, then that would be one of two rather small peaks in the Cascades; The Tooth or Chair Peak (in winter). Based on statistics like commitment grade, difficulty grade, size, rarity of other ascents, etc., then I suppose that would SW Buttress of Mt Beggua in Alaska, NE Buttress of Johannesberg Peak in winter, or the Price Glacier on Mt. Shuksan (both in the North Cascades).

jedicolin

by jedicolin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:14 pm

I would have to say Ben Nevis in Scotland for me. Very enjoyable and rewarding.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:22 am

It's hard to say for me.

I would guess Ancient Art would be up there. It was really fun and is perhaps the most unusual summit in the world:

http://www.summitpost.org/ancient-art/509337

The only disappointment was that it was too windy to stand on top.

Outlaw Peak was also satisfying since it took several trips to find a route to the summit:

http://www.summitpost.org/outlaw-peak/225744

reboyles

by reboyles » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:35 pm

I have two, both on the same mountain. I first saw this face in 1972 and made a couple of unsuccessful trips to climb it in the following years. Long after my prime and decades later the opportunity came around again and we did it. My partner happened to be my rock climbing instructor who introduced me to technical climbing 40 years earlier. A year earlier I climbed the mountain with my daughter and that was equally as satisfying as any climb I have ever done.

http://www.summitpost.org/east-face-nor ... ion/802722

http://www.summitpost.org/mt-borah-sout ... dge/740523

Bob

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:07 am

jesu, joy of man's desiring wrote:I don't recall any summits at all. Usually arrive in the dark with a faltering headlamp, and start floundering, looking for a way down.

Yo Steve -- you need to invest in the Energizer Bunny -- it keeps going and going and going and .... :D

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:59 am

C'mon Steve, give-us-a-break!

And, when you finally stumble down to the trailhead, I suppose you run into Harambe ...

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

myles

by myles » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:36 pm

A spur running south from Mt. Powell overlooking Moonlight Lake in the Sierra Nevada. Climbed it solo after a long talus slog around its south side. Found myself strangely committed for a 3rd class peak.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:09 pm

So far, for me, probably (South) Truchas Peak, and combined with Medio Truchas and Middle Truchas, and the traverse over to the base of North Truchas. I had intended to also combine the North Truchas summit, but the mountains encouraged me to reconsider. The trip included sunrise on top of Trailriders Wall and the Pecos Baldy summits. Someday, I'll be back for North, and maybe combine with Chimayosos or another peak, and I expect that to be very rewarding, also.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:09 am

Mine is Mt Cook in the Southern Alps or 'Big Jim' as some people call it. Nothing is easy on that hill.

Maybe the over 140 deaths on its slopes say some thing about the Mountain?

spiderman

by spiderman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:52 am

+1 on the South to North Truchas traverse. That is a great combo in New Mexico.

Our favorite has been Mt. Columbia, Alberta. There aren't many Canadian High Pointers yet so you get the mountain to yourself. Being out on the glaciers with no humans within 15 km is priceless. It was a million times better than the typical highway route up Rainier.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:08 am

spiderman wrote:+1 on the South to North Truchas traverse. That is a great combo in New Mexico.

Our favorite has been Mt. Columbia, Alberta. There aren't many Canadian High Pointers yet so you get the mountain to yourself. Being out on the glaciers with no humans within 15 km is priceless. It was a million times better than the typical highway route up Rainier.

Come to New Zealand, you have whole mountain ranges to your self pretty much every time you go out. You can walk for weeks staying in different Mountain Huts every night and not see a single person. Not in the Huts on the trails or anything. Took me about 5 years to run into another Mountaineer in the Mountains when I first started climbing.

The following user would like to thank Yank-Tank for this post
spiderman

Return to General