Mount Le Conte & Mount Kephart Questions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
ADK_46

Mount Le Conte & Mount Kephart Questions

by ADK_46 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Hello, I have set out to hike the SB6K.
Im planning my next hike to Mt. Le Conte & Mt. Kephart.
I plan to start from Rainbow Falls Trail and hike to Mt. Le Conte. Once Ive completed my ascent up Mt Le Conte I plan to hike long the Boulevard to Mt. Kephart. The plan is to return the same route but instead take the Bull Head Trail back to the parking area. The hike should total right around 23.5 Miles.

Has anyone done this, if so cant you give some insight on how long it took?
How are the trail conditions along these trails?
Lastly; any suggestions on shuttles incase I need to break off of any reason?

Thanks,
Christopher
~Live Unbound

e-doc

Re: Mount Le Conte & Mount Kephart Questions

by e-doc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Has anyone done this, if so cant you give some insight on how long it took?

*I summited LeConte and back to Cherokee Orchard via the same route in November a few years ago (without going to Kephart). I don't remember exactly
*but it was 6-7 hours.

How are the trail conditions along these trails?

*Its the Smokies, the trails are well marked.

Lastly; any suggestions on shuttles incase I need to break off of any reason?

*Not sure what you mean by this. Your only exits are Cherokee Orchard, Alum Cave or Newfound Gap. Plan to be hiking all day. Take a headlamp and extra *layer of clothing. Have you ever bivouacked?

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:26 pm

Curious as to why you chose this route? I personally would recommend going up Alum Cave to LeConte and take the Boulevard to Kephart and head to Newfound Gap. Work out a shuttle to drop you back at Alum Cave, or hitch hike, or stash a bike at Newfound Gap in the morning and coast down to Alum Cave when you are done.

This would cut off nearly 10 miles from your day and at least 1000 feet of elevation gain. I have not done the route you are considering but my guess is that you will spend the vast majority of your very long day walking in the woods. Alum Cave, while very busy, is one of if not thee most beautiful hikes in the park. Start early and you will avoid a lot of the touron traffic. I believe that Alum Cave Trail is closed Monday through Thursday so that limits your options. I've been up Alum Cave 15 times, and it never gets old. And if you are trying to avoid crowds, then you are going to the wrong place!

ADK_46

by ADK_46 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:35 pm

I have been hiking for years. I just wanted to get a run down of the trail conditions before I plan a 23.5 mile hike. The intent behind this hike was for the distance and elevation alone. Compared to the Adirondacks the trail conditions of the Smoky's have been easy and wanted to know if this would be no different.

As for shuttle service that was a "plan B" in case something went wrong. I just want to know if a 23.5 mile hike was doable within a reasonable amount of time (within a day).

-Thanks for the replies!

ADK_46

by ADK_46 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:18 pm

Catamount wrote:That's cool, Christopher.

Would love to hear about some of your South Beyond 6K adventures as they progress. I kind of have my eye on that list as my next project. Still maybe a year or two before I get into it. But it's in the on-deck circle.

Ill try to keep posting as my adventures continue! Hope to see ya out on the trails one day!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)