mount mitchell nc. weather question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
charley

mount mitchell nc. weather question

by charley » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:19 am

Do any of you locals or folks spending alot of time on mt. mitche3ll know how late in the year you can go up there without experiencing snow and sub freezing temps. I know it can happen tomorrow but on the average when does the nasty weather start?

johnmnichols

by johnmnichols » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:26 pm

Here are climate averages for Mitchell -- http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/cronos/normals.php?station=315923

As you can imagine, there can be a huge variation in day-to-day conditions, especially during the transitional months of fall. The mountain will usually see it's first real snow and possible short-term closure sometime during October. September and October are statisically the mountain's two driest months, so definitely a good time to visit.

no avatar
charley

by charley » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Thank you John. That's what I thought. I still have time but better not wait too long. I don't want to deal with really sub freezing and high winds.

Scoffster

Re: mount mitchell nc. weather question

by Scoffster » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:16 am

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:59 pm

I use this station too. It's pretty reliable-- come to think of it.. I have a picture of me hugging it somewhere (the station).

I know it doesn't answer your question, but I saw -20F up there last year. It's a pretty dynamic little hill.

e-doc

by e-doc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:47 am

Weather can be fluky. One year on April 12 I was in shorts and t-shirt. Five days later it was 16 degrees, 30 mph winds and snowing

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)