Mountain Page Deletion

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
WouterB

Mountain Page Deletion

by WouterB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Ok, so I was recently looking for a mountain page. I climbed this mountain 5 or 6 times and was looking for a new route that would lead to an adjacent mountain. Since I couldn't find this mountain page, I decided to create it and share what I knew about the mountain. When I quit working on it, the page wasn't ready, as I hadn't planned on creating a page, but was looking for more information, but still I had spent over an hour on it.

After a two week holiday I now wanted to add some stuff to the page and found that it had been deleted. Obviously I thought I just did something wrong and looked for it, typing in typo's thinking I might've made a mistake. Now typing the typo's I did actually find the mountain page I was looking for, but not the one I had created. So a mountain page was created before with a wrongly spelled name and I'm guessing the elves seeing my page as a duplicate deleted it.

I can understand that my page was deleted as it was a duplicate. However since I spend over an hour on it:
  • I would've liked to have received a PM explaining why my page was deleted. This would've saved me quite a lot of time in looking for it and figuring out what had happened.
  • If the elves took the time to find my mountain page and compare it to a similarly (wrongly) named mountain page, I would've liked them to at least also take the time to correct the name. Someone else might lose an hour over this again in the future.
  • As the "original" mountain page currently has no owner and I added some new information, I would've preferred if this would've been added to the original instead of having an hour of work just thrown in to the bin.

In short, I'm not too happy about the way this was handled.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Mountain Page Deletion

by Bob Sihler » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Your duplicate page was pointed out in a comment by another member. Both he and an elf (I) sent you a message about the duplicate page and that it would be deleted. The message I sent also asked if you were interested in updating the existing page. These messages were sent as comments on the page, not by PM. When you did not respond after several days even though your profile showed that you had logged in, the page was deleted.

When I quit working on it, the page wasn't ready, as I hadn't planned on creating a page, but was looking for more information

In the future, if that's your intent, you should not submit it as a mountain page then but as a custom object or something else instead. It's well known that SP policy is to delete duplicate pages. The only reason it wasn't deleted right away is that you had put work into it and so you deserved the chance to do something with what you had already posted. And that gets us back to the first paragraph above.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

WouterB

Re: Mountain Page Deletion

by WouterB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks for your reply Bob. As I said I understand why it happened. Unfortunately, I was in Tanzania for the last two weeks, climbing Kilimanjaro, so I didn't notice. It's weird that my profile page showed activity in that period - I'll change my password because I definitely haven't been active in the last two weeks. I knew I should've made a custom object, but forgot how exactly and decided I knew enough about the mountain to make it worthwhile for the time being - learned a lesson there... .

The page currently isn't bad, tough I would definitely change the name. I'll have a look at it again in some time and might contact you to add some things.

Return to Site Feedback