Mt Damavand during Ramadan?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
andre hangaard

Mt Damavand during Ramadan?

by andre hangaard » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:00 pm

I plan a trip to Iran and hopefully a Mount Damavand climb during the two first weeks in September 2009. I realize this is right in the middle of Ramadan. As far as I understand, all restaurants are closed and no food can be purchased during daytime. How about in the wilderness? Does these restrictions also apply up at the Gusfandsara hut and the Bargahsevom, (the newly constructed hut)?

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:26 pm

There are several Iranian members on SP who have climbed Damavand, why not ask them directly (PM)?

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:28 pm

As sjarelkwint said, I was there last year during Ramadam. I was quite worried at first, but I managed just fine. If you are in Tehran, or other big cities, it's inconvenient. But away from it all, you can do pretty much what you like.

I don't recommend eating or drinking ANYWHERE in public though! But you'll soon find out where you can and where you can't.

Check out my post about Damavand. Plenty of info there. If you need more, just ask. I don't frequent this place everyday. Sjarelkwint probably does and he can tell me if it's urgent ;).

andre hangaard

by andre hangaard » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:43 pm

Thank you very much Wouter! ...and I guess there will be plenty of food around when the sun has gone down.... :D André

Return to Asia