must-do peaks on first visit to Glacier NP?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Matthew Holliman

must-do peaks on first visit to Glacier NP?

by Matthew Holliman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:52 pm

I'll be visiting Glacier NP for the first time next week. I'll be with my parents, so not planning on any long hikes--but I hope to squeeze in at least a couple of peaks while I'm in the park. We're spending about a week there in all.

Given that this is my first time there, I was planning on something like Oberlin/Reynolds to get acquainted with the rock in the park.

(1) Any suggestions on other must-do peaks? Preferably something not too long (I guess I can get out for a few hours maximum at a time), with either fun scrambling, or good views, or both.
(2) Are axe/crampons necessary for any of these peaks? I was hoping to avoid bringing these since we're flying in, but will (reluctantly) take them if they're still required.

Thanks in advance.

FlatheadNative

Re: must-do peaks on first visit to Glacier NP?

by FlatheadNative » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:08 am

I think one of the must do(s) is Reynolds Mountain. A second would be Clements Mountain. There is still a lot of snow in the Hanging Gardens above Logan Pass but the routes are achievable.

If you are fit Mount Siyeh is achievable for most climbers with a bit of tenacity.

Mount Oberlin is a great first climb and many climbers do just that.

In the 2 Medicine Valley my top choice for a must do peak would be Sinopah.

There is decent information on all of these peaks on SummitPost. I have also published a guidebook for climbs around Logan Pass which would be a good tool to pick up if you are going to do any of those routes.

You would not need crampons but an ice axe would be advisable due to the snow conditions up there.

Good luck!

Blake

The following user would like to thank FlatheadNative for this post
Matthew Holliman

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)