My first Thirteener....

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
yosemiteforlife67

by yosemiteforlife67 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:40 am

ok guys, i mentioned the mt whitney "mountain range" not the actual mountain itself, ok?? It would REALLY have to be clear to see whitney, eh???!! That is funny. It was a great hike, and i found i passed the test hike well to prepare for whitney. I cant wait to get up there. For those interested, i will definitely be posting some pics and feedback. have a good one!! Eric.

yosemiteforlife67

by yosemiteforlife67 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:49 am

also, i should mention....i did the "rocky canyon" trail to the top of Pyramid Peak in desolation wilderness. In case anyone is not sure where that is, it is in el dorado county, callifornia just west of lake tahoe. 3 miles, 4000 feet in elevation gain!!! The elevation of Pyramid peak is 9983, amazing views toward lake tahoe , to west toward sacramento, and all around.... that day (aug 7th, 2010) it was clear and perfect. it seems , no matter how many peaks i have started to conquer, the more i want to conquer!! I am somewhat new to cimbing peaks, but i am more hungry than ever for more....after mt whitney, who knows...?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:07 am

So by 'Whitney Range', you meant you could see the Sierra Nevada?

That is more likely.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:29 am

yosemiteforlife67 wrote:ok guys, i mentioned the mt whitney "mountain range" not the actual mountain itself, ok?? It would REALLY have to be clear to see whitney, eh???!! That is funny. It was a great hike, and i found i passed the test hike well to prepare for whitney. I cant wait to get up there. For those interested, i will definitely be posting some pics and feedback. have a good one!! Eric.

Just brace yourself, you will receive a whole lota' crap from fellow SPers. It's all in good fun. You best have thick skin if you plan on posting much. Congrats on Dana, Pyramid isn't an easy climb, a lot of elevation gain very quickly.

When I climbed Pyramid's summit, I think I saw Dana from up there. :P

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:04 am

Neophiteat48 wrote:
yosemiteforlife67 wrote:ok guys, i mentioned the mt whitney "mountain range" not the actual mountain itself, ok?? It would REALLY have to be clear to see whitney, eh???!! That is funny. It was a great hike, and i found i passed the test hike well to prepare for whitney. I cant wait to get up there. For those interested, i will definitely be posting some pics and feedback. have a good one!! Eric.

Just brace yourself, you will receive a whole lota' crap from fellow SPers. It's all in good fun. You best have thick skin if you plan on posting much. Congrats on Dana, Pyramid isn't an easy climb, a lot of elevation gain very quickly.

Neo, slow down!!!

yosemiteforlife67's peak to forum post ratio is already higher than yours! :evil:

inconsolable

by inconsolable » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:09 am

The Canyon fire (Kern) was throwing up considerable smoke last week. Not enough to affect hiking out of Rock Creek, where we were, but certainly enough to show up in photos. First time up Dana is a treat -- love the moment Mono Lake pops into view. Go for it!

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:13 am

mrchad9 wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:

Neo, slow down!!!

yosemiteforlife67's peak to forum post ratio is already higher than yours! :evil:

Ratios are meaningless, it's all about big numbers! I'm striving for your type of numbers Chad. But........given the number of peaks I've summited since I joined and the number you've climbed since you joined, what kind of ratio is that? How many peaks per day do I need to summit to catch up? :lol:

Plus did you see his beer gut? Almost as bad a mine, although mine is hidden in the shadows.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:28 am

Vitaliy M wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:

Neo, slow down!!!

Ratios are meaningless, it's all about big numbers! I'm striving for your type of numbers Chad. But........given the number of peaks I've summited since I joined and the number you've climbed since you joined, what kind of ratio is that? How many peaks per day do I need to summit to catch up? :lol:

Plus did you see his beer gut? Almost as bad a mine, although mine is hidden in the shadows.

You guys should make a team...even though it seems like he is already running circles around you. I have 10$ on him making it to Whitney before you make it to Vagabond!

Well the Vagabond/other peaks trip I'm not doing, so your right. I'd send you a PM telling you my plans but you'd just laugh, as I haven't kept any of my plans yet. :cry:

yosemiteforlife67

by yosemiteforlife67 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:59 pm

I really appreciate all the feedback. i am very new to "peakbagging" i primarily do day hikes, and havent even backpacked for years. After i do whitney, i will be looking at planning on doing mt goddard, and some other peaks, but have to work my way up to peak bagging. i can't help but get excited about climbing more than one peak in a day, but that is ahead of me. One step at a time. I did hike Mt Freel, a few weeks after doing pyramid peak, it was a cross country hike. i ended up parking on that dirt road off hwy 89, i thihk it was rd 051, and parked right below the saddle between mt freel and jobs peak. it really didn't take that long to get to the top...but took longer to get down by taking the main trail. Amazing views there as well over tahoe.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:00 pm

This isn't feedback.

This is Vitaliy M and Neophiteat48 needing to get a room!

JasonH

by JasonH » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote:When I climbed Pyramid's summit, I think I saw Dana from up there. :P

I saw Russia.

Previous

Return to California