Near freezing conditions - Waterproof clothing required

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi, I hike in a rainforest most of the time. Its basically the toughest place in the world to keep dry (inside and out since temps and humidity are high) inside (from sweat) and out (rain).

Since you hike in cooler weather its much easier to keep dry inside.

Feet:
I would suggest smartwool socks. They are the most comfortable even in warm weather, I use them all the time. They keep you dry, stink free and if the get wet they dry quickly.
Get a full leather boot lined with goretex (there are many options, get one that fits best).

Legs:
If you must use gaiters use full length, goretex gaiters like OR Crocodiles. Pants, REI Taku pants work great if you must use waterproof pants, First Ascent (eddie bauer) have some nice waterproof pants also. I use mostly my MH Navigation Softshells in cooler weather or MH Canyon pants when its hot. They dry insanely quick and I cant stand to be in hardshell pants in the rainforest. If its cool enough use silk weight wool long underwear or synth boxer briefs if its warm.

Torso:
I mostly use a synth running shirt or if its cold enough a light wool or Patagonia Capilene 1/4 zip long sleeve shirt. If its cold enough I use a Marmot powerstretch jacket also and if it rains I put on a MH Typhoon Jacket (goretex paclite). This jacket is great because it has pit zips AND chest zippers/vents, I have been in sustained very very heavy downpours out in the open and its kept me dry. In warm/humid conditions I have all zippers open. Unless its raining hard it comes off. Its best to avoid having bare skin on a hardshell so if you can use a long sleeve shirt under it its much more comfortable. Also, having a hood is a must.

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:54 am

The honest truth is that you simply can't stay dry in the conditions you describe. If the rain doesn't get in, the sweat can't get out.

The only real option is to do what alpinists do: get wet, and then have systems in place to dry out rapidly.

The basic idea is wear a very thing synthetic baselayer (like Capilene), a quick drying mid-layer (but only if necessary), and then a lightweight and very breathable softshell. It is important that the softshell NOT have a laminate - it should be a tight weave with a good DWR. As soon as you slow down, you wear a thick synthetic parka over everything (even your softshell).

This way, you heat up inside the parka very rapidly and because all your layers are very, very breathable, the "osmotic pressure" (not actually osmotic, but gas-specific, I forget the word) the moisture is quickly driven away from your skin and out into the atmosphere.

It is crucial to also minimize sweat. Do your best to avoid wearing a mid layer. I don't wear a midlayer above about 15F (-10C) because as long as you keep moving you'll stay warm. Asw soon as you stop, toss on the big parka and you'll be fine.

MScholes

by MScholes » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:51 pm

brokesomeribs wrote:The honest truth is that you simply can't stay dry in the conditions you describe. If the rain doesn't get in, the sweat can't get out.

The only real option is to do what alpinists do: get wet, and then have systems in place to dry out rapidly.

The basic idea is wear a very thing synthetic baselayer (like Capilene), a quick drying mid-layer (but only if necessary), and then a lightweight and very breathable softshell. It is important that the softshell NOT have a laminate - it should be a tight weave with a good DWR. As soon as you slow down, you wear a thick synthetic parka over everything (even your softshell).

This way, you heat up inside the parka very rapidly and because all your layers are very, very breathable, the "osmotic pressure" (not actually osmotic, but gas-specific, I forget the word) the moisture is quickly driven away from your skin and out into the atmosphere.

It is crucial to also minimize sweat. Do your best to avoid wearing a mid layer. I don't wear a midlayer above about 15F (-10C) because as long as you keep moving you'll stay warm. Asw soon as you stop, toss on the big parka and you'll be fine.

+1 Well explained.

I do enjoy some hardshell use (probably because I've never sprung for an exceptional softshell - Arc't Gamma MX will absorb more water in a heavy downpour then anything else - but a good one in a snowstorm), so if you're going to get a hardshell out of Gore-Tex Pro Shell, get one with long pit zips and other venting options.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:22 pm

FortMental wrote:Get an umbrella. Don't laugh. Best $8 I've spent on outdoor gear in a long time.

+1 and highly recommended by high profile climber Jimmy Chin.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:38 am

Brad Marshall wrote:
FortMental wrote:Get an umbrella. Don't laugh. Best $8 I've spent on outdoor gear in a long time.

+1 and highly recommended by high profile climber Jimmy Chin.

Until the wind picks up then it will be destroyed in seconds.

Return to Gear