Gear for freezing rain?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
outdoorabstract

Gear for freezing rain?

by outdoorabstract » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:00 pm

I have problems getting cold when we're ascending in the freezing rain. Starting out around 6K it is raining in the upper 30's then as we go up it gets gradually colder and the rain turns to sleet and snow as the temp hits the low 30's around 8K. By then we're soaking wet and the wind starts up so we get really cold. Any thoughts on gear solutions that have worked for you in for these sort of conditions? Use of a hard shell seems to result in getting soaked from within and more permeable stuff seems to get soaked from outside.

BigMitch

Re: Gear for freezing rain?

by BigMitch » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Marmot Precip Top and with full-zip Bottoms (or similar commercial materials) + 3 mm neoprene kayaking gloves (3/4 fingered to allow use free use of fingers with climbing gear).

Regulate the size of the armpit and pant zips to control heat and/or moisture buildup.

outdoorabstract

by outdoorabstract » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:32 pm

Hey Big M,
That's funny, I'm using the Marmot Precip, I really don't like it, it is yours if you want it. As for the neoprene kayak gloves, that sounds like a great plan.

no avatar
MattGreene

by MattGreene » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:38 pm

In those conditions, I travel fast and wear as little as I can while it's raining (usually a single base layer with a light rain shell), then change into a dry base layer and different shell when the risk of getting soaked is gone. Carrying extra socks, upper and lower layers, gloves, and an extra shell isn't all that heavy.

outdoorabstract

by outdoorabstract » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 pm

MG, I like the idea but I can't hold the level of output for 2+hours necessary to keep my fires burning hot when it is pouring rain in the low 30's with big wind...

Baarb

by Baarb » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm a big fan of umbrellas where the going's not technical. Tend to use a mini and light-weight aerodynamic one which will take pretty high winds. Plus its good for taking photos from underneath.

norco17

by norco17 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:10 pm

outdoorabstract wrote:MG, I like the idea but I can't hold the level of output for 2+hours necessary to keep my fires burning hot when it is pouring rain in the low 30's with big wind...

stop and eat that always warms me up

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Wow, this was so typical in the east. The most dangerous conditions were when people hiked in at 15F, didn't put on the rain fly, then woke up at 2AM to freezing rain. Go waterproof, and have neoprene socks, and be ready to set up camp and huddle it out.

Dane1

by Dane1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 pm

MattGreene wrote:In those conditions, I travel fast and wear as little as I can while it's raining (usually a single base layer with a light rain shell), then change into a dry base layer and different shell when the risk of getting soaked is gone.

I typically do some thing similar or better yet stay home when the conditions are that bad.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 pm

Dane1 wrote:... or better yet stay home when the conditions are that bad.

Or move to Colorado :)

I had a day like you describe last year, training some clients. It was deadly. If you can't stay home, get the lightest most breathable hardshell you can find for the lower bit, and a decent windshell for the upper bit. Something like an eVent Rab Momentum or Demand lower down, a Marmot Mica or Rab Alpine pull-on up high. Plus a thin fleece to put on under the windshell up high. Carrying two jackets is never ideal but at these low altitudes on day trips weight is not such a killer. A new Neoshell garment might be a workable compromise but I've not used them, so I'm not sure they'd be waterproof enough for what you're describing. Montbell also make some nice light hardshells but not sure how breathable they are. I've found Marmot Precip gear to be like wearing a plastic bag.

Return to Gear