new format

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
jfrishmanIII

Re: new format

by jfrishmanIII » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:04 am

But I can add back in any functionality that is desired. Would adding back in the "distance from GPS coordinates" be beneficial for mountains and routes? Any other types of pages?

Definitely Canyons, and I'd say Area/Range too, since Area/Rage pages sometimes get used for small or unexpected areas or subranges.

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:15 am

Inserted YouTube videos do not show.

seano

by seano » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:33 am

Did anyone actually want this change? If so, why?

Without ad-blocking, the old SP was full of low-value ads on a desktop, and useless on mobile. I haven't tried the new one on mobile, but it looks like an uglier but "more modern" version of the old one on my heavily-armored desktop browser. I'm not inspired to delete my meager contributions and quit, but neither am I inspired to participate.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
Old School WB

alpinbeta

by alpinbeta » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:00 am

Montana Matt wrote:I just cleaned up the HTML on that page. It is now fixed. We'll try to find something to do it automatically as the HTML is sent to the page, but it is likely going to require someone manually going through each page and fixing the bad HTML.

Well, thanks Matt. The page now is working well. Unfortunately, I have another 11 pages with the same problem of the column thrown at the bottom of the page. I would be grateful if you could tell me which is the HTML code to clean in order to manually arrange the pages.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:27 am

Trying to get used to the new format..;)

THANKS to all who have worked and still do on the page

The following user would like to thank Diego Sahagún for this post
Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Puma concolor wrote:Fancy profile pages like those of JL and others are still a mess on mobile devices.

I wasn't able to test on my phone before going live. Since going live, most of the pages display fine and get very good scores from the Google mobile-friendly test.

But any page with too much custom HTML/CSS on them, even profile pages, possibly won't display well on all devices. And I've been on user pages on my cell phone and have found several things that need to be fixed.

jfrishmanIII wrote:Definitely Canyons, and I'd say Area/Range too, since Area/Rage pages sometimes get used for small or unexpected areas or subranges.

OK, give me a bit and I'll add that search feature back in.

yatsek wrote:Inserted YouTube videos do not show.

Can you provide a link to the page where it isn't working?

alpinbeta wrote:I would be grateful if you could tell me which is the HTML code to clean in order to manually arrange the pages.

If you look at the pages in the old editor (or view source code in the new editor), you'll need to go through and make sure that every opening <div> has a closing </div>. And that there aren't extra closing </div> accidentally inserted. When the page doesn't display correctly, it's almost always too many <div> without enough closing </div> or more closing </div> than opening <div>

And I find it easier to do that sort of editing in the old editor. For example your page here:
https://www.summitpost.org/edit_object. ... _id=998855

Look through each section and make sure that the number of open <div> match exactly the number of closing </div> and that should fix the issue on that page.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
jfrishmanIII

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Most pages by LukZem have youtube videos embedded and it seems like none of them works: For example

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:46 pm

yatsek wrote:Most pages by LukZem have youtube videos embedded and it seems like none of them works: For example

That's because he has them embedded with HTTP and not HTTPS. So when the page loads, it only loads things that are secure. In Google Chrome, you will see a little shield with a red "X" through it that indicates not everything on the page loaded by default. If you click that red "X" it will give you the option to "load unsafe scripts" and then the page will load everything (see attached screenshot).

But, any page that is loading content over an HTTP connection could pose a security threat, so that's why they do not load by default. The easy fix is to go through any pages like that and change any instance of HTTP to HTTPS and that should fix any problems.
Screenshot 2018-02-01 10.44.07.png
Screenshot 2018-02-01 10.44.07.png (719.36 KiB) Viewed 2454 times

yatsek

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:29 am

My first impression of the new layout is a good one. Sure, there are a couple of things that need fixing and a few others that, subject to taste, might be done differently, but with so much change that should hardly come as a surprise.

So far, and others have already said so as well, the one thing that annoys me most is that pictures are stretched, depending on window width, which distorts them. I hope this gets fixed soon.

From what I read, I gather that the editor has some issues and it's important that these get ironed out soon as well, for many contributors won't want to submit new pages or even update existing ones if they worry whether the editor can deal with their effort. I wasn't planning to submit much anytime soon (too busy with other stuff), but if I was, I would be holding off until I had the impression that the editor works well. After fixing the distortion of images I would say that ironing out the editor issues is the next most important step forward.

I presume it's a minor issue for almost everyone that at the top of the page the icons that show if a page has already been featured, either regularly or as a reworked page, are gone. However, for those that select pages to be featured it's an important issue, for without this, the same pages will make the front page over and over again.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:03 pm

rgg wrote:After fixing the distortion of images I would say that ironing out the editor issues is the next most important step forward.

I agree. We're working to resolve both.

rgg wrote:I presume it's a minor issue for almost everyone that at the top of the page the icons that show if a page has already been featured, either regularly or as a reworked page, are gone. However, for those that select pages to be featured it's an important issue, for without this, the same pages will make the front page over and over again.

I meant to add that to my list of things to do. I'll do that soon. It shouldn't take too much time.

Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

by Vid Pogachnik » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:36 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
rgg wrote:I presume it's a minor issue for almost everyone that at the top of the page the icons that show if a page has already been featured, either regularly or as a reworked page, are gone. However, for those that select pages to be featured it's an important issue, for without this, the same pages will make the front page over and over again.

I meant to add that to my list of things to do. I'll do that soon. It shouldn't take too much time.

Matt, the icons you are speaking about should be on two places:

1. When you open a page (of any type). That's what you probably had in mind anyway. So, when you open for example a mountain page, there should be an icon, indicating if it was featured or reworked.

2. But we elves need such an icon also on the lists of pages (of all types). For example, when I'm searching through the mountain pages (by Name, Last Edited Date, or whatever advanced search), as a result I get a list. There is enough place to put a small icon as well.

When I'm choosing pages to be featured, I'm getting tired of opening them one by one and then realizing that a page had been already featured. Would really wish to have that information on the list :)

Thanks,
Vid

The following user would like to thank Vid Pogachnik for this post
Matt Miller

scramblingbadger

by scramblingbadger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:10 am

We have all heard the saying, "If it's not broken, don't fix it." Like many others on SP, I did not really consider the previous version to be "broken", other than the extreme problem with the ads. Seems like the easier fix would have been to just go back to the setup prior to the invasion of all the ads from hell. However, it also seems like we are locked on this new course, like it or not. So, I am hoping at some point in time, after all the serious bugs are fixed, that someone does an article with helpful pointers on how to best use the new system. For the majority of SP members (who are not HTML experts), there is still little incentive to make any additions, corrections or updates until we can have a reasonable idea of how to correctly accomplish this.

stinkysox77

by stinkysox77 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Can we get a way to be able to jump straight to unread posts in a thread? Instead of now seeing that there are unread posts in a thread and then clicking on the last page of the thread to get to the new ones, only to find out that there were new posts on the 2nd to last page also and are now no longer marked as unread because you already skipped ahead to the last page.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:19 pm

stinkysox77 wrote:Can we get a way to be able to jump straight to unread posts in a thread?

It's currently there. Just click on the little blue icon next to the topic title that appears when there are unread posts. See the screenshot below where it is circled.
Screenshot 2018-02-05 10.16.41.png
Screenshot 2018-02-05 10.16.41.png (244.34 KiB) Viewed 2364 times

stinkysox77

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:18 am

Maybe not a huge deal, but to open any featured page or photo, I have to click on the title. We used to be able to click on the picture. This might frustrate people and drive down hits after the initial ones, and it might also discourage voting.

Alphabetizing submissions on our profile pages-- I love this, and I pushed for it years back, but there was strong disagreement that I did not understand but did respect. My question: can we have a feature on a profile page that lets viewers and owners alike to view submissions alphabetically, chronologically, or some other way?

For example, on a news site I read, I can sort comments by newest, oldest, most liked, or most replied. It would be cool if we could select between alphabetically or chronologically.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback