new format

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: new format

by Bob Sihler » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 am

Unless I'm missing them, the icons for featured and reworked pages no longer appear.

This means that soon the Picket Range may be featured for the 201st time.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:25 am

For those of you who have profile backgrounds, add the following code to the A Little About Me section of your profile:

Code: Select all
<style>
.bio-section .content-section {
    background: #fff;
}

.default-section.user-links {
    border-radius: 5px;
    overflow: hidden;
    box-shadow: 0 0 4px 2px #666666;
}

.col-sm-6 {
}</style>

This will add a white background to the page lists, about, and message boxes. :)

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
Lodewijk

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 am

I have Sivia's columns problem on a couple of pages. Do they just have to be completely rebuilt?

A more common problem on my pages is that the automatically-generated Images section overlies (partly) the last custom section of the page. Scroll to the bottom of this one for an example:
https://www.summitpost.org/cantata-peak/662459

alpinbeta

by alpinbeta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 am

Josh Lewis wrote:This will add a white background to the page lists, about, and message boxes.)

I added the code and it works well. Thanks!

alpinbeta

by alpinbeta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:49 am

chugach mtn boy wrote:I have Sivia's columns problem on a couple of pages. Do they just have to be completely rebuilt?

I point out the same problem of Silvia and Chugach mtn boy of the launched column at the bottom of the page. On the total of my 60 pages, I verified that about a dozen pages are affected.

https://www.summitpost.org/uja-di-ciamarella-normal-route-through-canalone-delle-capre/959033

I would be happy if you could fix, redoing the pages takes too much time for me right now!

Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

by Vid Pogachnik » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:30 am

Bob Sihler wrote:Unless I'm missing them, the icons for featured and reworked pages no longer appear.

We'll need that. Now we don't have elf rights yet, so featuring new pages is not possible. But when I have those rights back, I'm usually sorting mountain/route pages by 'last editing date' and then feature two pages with high enough quality (to encourage maintaining pages). And here I have a wish: When sorting pages, in the past the list was also not showing if a page was featured or reworked. I had to open them one by one. Would be nice to have a little icon also on the list, not only on the opened page.

Lodewijk

by Lodewijk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 am

Montana Matt wrote:
Lodewijk wrote:To be honest, this is a feature I (and I think many others) would really like to keep. Isn't there a way to fix this, although not officially supported?

Sure, propose a solution that will work for everyone, and I'm sure we can test it out.

I can only provide a solution like already stated by Matt Lemke and Silvia: a white background behind the names of the mountain pages, albums, routes etc on the user profile making the names clear to read, just like it previously was.

I don't have a technical solution to that since I am not a computer programmer, but maybe you and/or Josh Lewis can help out with this? :?:

Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

by Vid Pogachnik » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:37 am

Nice to have so many headings! The editing interface is offering: Heading 1, Heading 2, ... Heading 6. But I don't like how they work. Two issues:

1. Heading 2 is too small. So, if you have in a section (Heading 2) more subsections (Heading 3 or Heading 4), the section title is appearing much smaller than subtitles. Nice to have grey background, but the font should be much bigger. See this example:
https://www.summitpost.org/storzic/151132
The Overview section (Heading 2) has 6 subsections (all Heading 3), and their titles appear much bigger than the Overview title.

2. The old editing interface was automatically capturing heading 3 and Heading 4 (commands: <h3></h3> and <h4></h4>). And created a proper Table content tree. The new one does not capture Heading 4 properly - in the Table content it is on the main (leftmost) level.

hansw

by hansw » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:58 pm

Suggestion: When you click on a “Recent forum post” you should come to the last page, not the first.
"I wonder why. I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder. I wonder why I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder!"
- Richard Feynman

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:47 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Unless I'm missing them, the icons for featured and reworked pages no longer appear.

No, I haven't added that in anywhere yet. I wasn't sure where to put it. Suggestions?
chugach mtn boy wrote:I have Sivia's columns problem on a couple of pages. Do they just have to be completely rebuilt?

No, not completely. It's really just a matter of finding the bad HTML code that is breaking the layout. Someone like Josh Lewis (or me) could probably do it in a matter of seconds. But without good knowledge of what to look for and the tools needed to do it, it would take most people a while or be very challenging.

I'm hoping we can figure out a solution that will check poorly formed HTML before sending it to the page. Barring that (or some other yet to be discussed idea) it will require someone to go through and fix all broken pages.

chugach mtn boy wrote:A more common problem on my pages is that the automatically-generated Images section overlies (partly) the last custom section of the page. Scroll to the bottom of this one for an example:
https://www.summitpost.org/cantata-peak/662459

Thanks for posting that problem. There are actually two things going on there. First is that there is bad HTML code also in that page. I fixed that and the issue with the images still persisted, so we fixed that as well. That was an issue with our CSS.

alpinbeta wrote:launched column at the bottom of the page. On the total of my 60 pages, I verified that about a dozen pages are affected.

https://www.summitpost.org/uja-di-ciama ... pre/959033

I would be happy if you could fix, redoing the pages takes too much time for me right now!

I just cleaned up the HTML on that page. It is now fixed. Having these sorts of issues was my biggest concern with moving to the new design. Any poorly formed HTML is going to make pages render incorrectly and it will need to be fixed. We'll try to find something to do it automatically as the HTML is sent to the page, but it is likely going to require someone manually going through each page and fixing the bad HTML.

Vid Pogachnik wrote:1. Heading 2 is too small. So, if you have in a section (Heading 2) more subsections (Heading 3 or Heading 4), the section title is appearing much smaller than subtitles. Nice to have grey background, but the font should be much bigger. See this example:
https://www.summitpost.org/storzic/151132
The Overview section (Heading 2) has 6 subsections (all Heading 3), and their titles appear much bigger than the Overview title.

I had noticed that and thought the same thing. We can play with the size of the font for Heading 2 so that it's larger than Heading 3.

Vid Pogachnik wrote:2. The old editing interface was automatically capturing heading 3 and Heading 4 (commands: <h3></h3> and <h4></h4>). And created a proper Table content tree. The new one does not capture Heading 4 properly - in the Table content it is on the main (leftmost) level.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the Table of Contents? It isn't picking up the h3 and h4 to make the table of contents menu? I looked at your Storzic page and it appears to have the H3 and H4 headers in the table of contents.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
alpinbeta, chugach mtn boy

Lodewijk

by Lodewijk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:24 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:For those of you who have profile backgrounds, add the following code to the A Little About Me section of your profile:
This will add a white background to the page lists, about, and message boxes. :)

haha I completely missed this one; Thanks for helping out Josh, it works great :!:

Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

by Vid Pogachnik » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 pm

Matt wrote:
Vid Pogachnik wrote:2. The old editing interface was automatically capturing heading 3 and Heading 4 (commands: <h3></h3> and <h4></h4>). And created a proper Table content tree. The new one does not capture Heading 4 properly - in the Table content it is on the main (leftmost) level.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the Table of Contents? It isn't picking up the h3 and h4 to make the table of contents menu? I looked at your Storzic page and it appears to have the H3 and H4 headers in the table of contents.

Yes, I mean the Table of Contents. The new editor is probably not picking up the h3 and h4, the old one was doing that well. That is why my Storzic page is OK - it was created with the old editor. Please create a new page, put into a section a few lines of text and mark some lines as Header 3 and some others as header 4. And see the result.

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:24 pm

I appreciate all the work that's gone (and is still going) into this, and I suppose I'll reconcile myself to the mobile-friendly internet in time. But can we please, PLEASE have the advanced search feature back? It may not have been popular with the masses, but I expect the more engaged users took advantage of it more often. I used it all the time. As an example of what I'm missing, the option to change parameters on the interactive maps is now gone. For instance, one can no longer expand the search radius to find nearby mountains. This is a problem in, say, Nevada, where peaks may be so isolated that no neighbors appear at the default setting.

The following user would like to thank jfrishmanIII for this post
T. White

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 pm

Vid Pogachnik wrote:Yes, I mean the Table of Contents. The new editor is probably not picking up the h3 and h4, the old one was doing that well. That is why my Storzic page is OK - it was created with the old editor. Please create a new page, put into a section a few lines of text and mark some lines as Header 3 and some others as header 4. And see the result.

OK, I'll do that. Thanks for the bug report!

jfrishmanIII wrote:PLEASE have the advanced search feature back?

I intentionally made most of the advanced search features disappear in order to see which ones would be requested before reinstating them. I didn't have a good idea of what was being used but I suspected that the advanced search form was far too complicated for most people to utilize and usage logs verified this.

But I can add back in any functionality that is desired. Would adding back in the "distance from GPS coordinates" be beneficial for mountains and routes? Any other types of pages?

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
jfrishmanIII, T. White

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback