New NeoAir too good to be true?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
woodsxc

by woodsxc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:04 am

DukeJH wrote:Wrong thread! :twisted:

I'm not mad. :D

no avatar
mtelephant

by mtelephant » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Well, they are too good to found anywhere. The long has yet to be produced, only the regular and short so far.

How many people here have one? Is it comfy? Is it as light and small as claimed?

I really want a large one but for now I am just waiting.

no avatar
mtelephant

by mtelephant » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:28 am

goldenhopper wrote:Not sure where you are, but I made a few calls the other day to REI, Sport Chalet and Adventure 16 in the Los Angeles area and none of them had any of the sizes in stock. A16 said they will likely not get them until the start of summer.

I spoke with Cascade and they said they are sending them hand over fist in short and regular. They are even having some sent from Ireland to meet US demand. So they are out there - just no large yet.

climbing1

Neoair

by climbing1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:07 am

As stated the large is not out yet but I did get a chance to try one on the floor at a vendor clinic. I am not comfortable on the conventional long tube inflatables but the structure of neoair was very comfortable. That with the space, weight and decent R value make it worth trying to me.

no avatar
mtelephant

by mtelephant » Sat May 02, 2009 4:32 pm

So I am all in!

I bought two of them and will have them next week. I sleep on mine the night I get it - probably in the yard. I'll take pics for your entertainment.

I am probably not the best judge of such things but I will do my best to give a useful review.

Currently I carry around a Thermarest Trail Lite. That was serious technology for me. I previously used no mattress - not because I am hard or tough but because I was stupid and cheap.

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Sun May 03, 2009 8:34 am

Holy smokes!!! $169.95 for a SLEEPING PAD?!?!!!!!

It must have gold threads or something. The last sleeping pad I bought was $19.95!!!!

Why so expensive?

no avatar
mtelephant

by mtelephant » Sat May 09, 2009 2:02 am

My mattresses came in the mail today. They are exactly as claimed - small, light, comfy, and neon green.

Because thunderstorms are predicted for this evening and I have an early AM obligation, I decided not to sleep out tonight. My wife wanted to sleep out on them until we saw the thunderheads rolling in.

I did inflate mine and take a little nap in the yard. It is very comfy. Also, I was able to roll it up and fit it back in the box from whence it came, no problem. I threw in on the scale and it weighs 420 grams. Now I just need a stuff sack for it.

And now I want all ultralight gear - or at least an ultralight sleeping bag to replace my Eureka Cimarron 15.

I am ready to get out there.

radson

by radson » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:46 am

goldenhopper wrote:Bump...

Still no gear review on this one in the gear section. Anybody buy one of these yet and have an opinion?

I am curious too.

Pyroman9

by Pyroman9 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:19 pm

i have laid on them at EMS and they are very comfy and very light. I would get one i just dont have the money. I am curious how durable the thin fabric is...

someone go buy one

8kclimber

by 8kclimber » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:59 pm

I have three regulars in 20" width. For three season use. They are small, light and comfortable. I probably only inflate mine to 1/2 and its really comfortable. IMO, They are as claimed, seem to work great, and are holding up fine. No complaints. I still use a closed cell foam and or Exped or similar in the extreme cold and snow. Worth the $$$? Is to me.

Moni

by Moni » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:25 am

My Prolite 4 weigh onlys 2 ounces more - hardly worth the money to replace. And if you get a leak, at least you have something insulating to sleep on.

Pivvay

by Pivvay » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:55 am

I've seen them in Colin Haley's tent (find the Latok video/pictures) and they've been used a LOT by the ultralight backpackers. Some have even shortened them. I really don't use inflateables in the backcountry, i sleep fine on a pad that can't be rendered useless by an errant puncture. They are tempting but I haven't bit.

Moni

by Moni » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:29 am

goldenhopper wrote:
Moni wrote:My Prolite 4 weigh onlys 2 ounces more - hardly worth the money to replace. And if you get a leak, at least you have something insulating to sleep on.

:? Moni, I had a prolite 4 fail on me (slow leak) on a January trip to SEKI (lows 0-10F) and it did nothing for me when it lost its loft every hour or so.

Fortunately it was on the sixth night and I only had to endure two nights of shivers.

Bummer - but this new thing would be even worse if it didn't hold air, I should think!

Buckaroo

by Buckaroo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:37 am

Bought one of these in the 3/4. Have had several Thermarests. This one is the most comfortable because of it's increased thickness. You can let a lot of air out till it's nice and cushy and still not touch the ground.

not sure about warmth, haven't slept on snow yet

Pros
really light
smallest packed size available
very comfortable

Cons
Not self inflating
Puncture and you're sleeping on the rope
High Price

Snowy

neo air

by Snowy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Tried one out this spring. It was comfortable, the tacky nature helps hold your bag in place, and the weight is impressive. The main thing that I didn't like is that the horizontal baffles tended to roll me off the pad if I was close to the edge. This made it sleep very "skinny". I prefer big agnes' design for an inflatable pad, but you do pay a small price in weight. The neo is a great pad though; if your willing to pay it makes a great u.l. backpacking piece.

PreviousNext

Return to Gear