New route marking system set to spread

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Big Benn

New route marking system set to spread

by Big Benn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:52 am

I am told that this new system of route marking in the mountains is being trialed in the UK, and is very likely to be adapted throughout Europe and the USA.

luminous painted rocks to reduce getting lost after dark

I think the most important thing to remember is that, whilst very large numbers of rocks will need to be treated with this paint, the paint will hardly show up in daytime. Only becoming visible after dark. This has been done to counter concerns by some mountain walkers that daubing paint over so many rocks would despoil the mountains.

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:40 am

Being prepared before you actually go for a hike works too!

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:54 pm

The move has been prompted by the increasing number of ill equipped walkers who set out without torches.

Torches? What is this, a Frankenstein movie?

Buz Groshong

Re: New route marking system set to spread

by Buz Groshong » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:28 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:I am told that this new system of route marking in the mountains is being trialed in the UK, and is very likely to be adapted throughout Europe and the USA.

luminous painted rocks to reduce getting lost after dark

I think the most important thing to remember is that, whilst very large numbers of rocks will need to be treated with this paint, the paint will hardly show up in daytime. Only becoming visible after dark. This has been done to counter concerns by some mountain walkers that daubing paint over so many rocks would despoil the mountains.

I've seen marks painted on rocks in Italy and Switzerland, but almost never in the U.S. Here in the east marks (blazes) are painted on tree trunks - only on rocks where there are no trees (pretty rare). Out west they generally use cairns to mark the trails.

Haliku

by Haliku » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:51 pm

BrunoM wrote:Being prepared before you actually go for a hike works too!

+1. I don't like the idea. Be prepared or be prepared to bivy.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:04 pm

In Nevada, the Department of Ecology mixes small amounts of radioisotopes with a scintillating plastic. The decay particle energy is absorbed by the scintillators, which glow. These discs are then nailed to trees or attached to creosote bushes and rocks in an environmentally responsible manner.

Not only does this policy ensure the safety of hikers, it also solves the nuclear waste disposal issue. Plus, several new species of biota were recently found on the trails near the discs.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:26 pm

And look how the pretty colors brighten up such a drab and dreary landscape...

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:29 pm

If I didn't know that BB was such a serious guy, I might think this picture suspicious.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:41 pm

This is sort of like when The Chief first showed up on SP .. he declared plans to bolt descent routes on a number of popular High Sierra classic climbs :lol:

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:03 pm

I hope this kind of graffiti and a defacement of a moutain terrain never takes hold in our beloved US ranges. I would think that most mountain visitors would react extremely negatively to something like this in our mountains. This is the worst example of an urban decay finding its way into the backcountry. Common guys, this is totally nuts! A troll?

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:14 pm

asmrz wrote:I hope this kind of graffiti and a defacement of a moutain terrain never takes hold in our beloved US ranges. I would think that most mountain visitors would react extremely negatively to something like this in our mountains. This is the worst example of an urban decay finding its way into the backcountry. Common guys, this is totally nuts! A troll?

No, just slaves to the calendar :lol:

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:17 pm

MoapaPk wrote:If I didn't know that BB was such a serious guy, I might think this picture suspicious.

:lol: :lol:
Can I add a futher couple of clues!

This development is a watered down version of what was originally planned to meet forthcoming EU legislation about those who walk into the night. Originally it was proposed that anyone walking into darkness would have to have luminous paint sprayed onto their back, or rucksac if wearing one. This would have made it much easier for them to be rescued in case of difficulty. However it was the inability of paint manufacturers to prepare a waterproof paint that would wear off quickly after 24 hours that saw this part of the proposal changed.

And then this:-

Bryan Benn, a well know hill and mountain walker was the first person to test the original wayside "make it glow in the dark" system that was trialed after the waterproof paint scheme was aborted. This was for warm summer nights only, and entailed dirndl wearing Bavarian Serving Wenches standing at strategically placed points on mountain trails holding glasses of ice cold wheat beer. The glasses having been treated on the outside with a luminous powder. However those monitoring the test by following Bryan around a pre-designated mountain track at night were surprised to find that after Bryan had passed each Serving Wench that some of the luminous powder had mysteriously transferred from the beer glass to each of the Serving Wenches' breast areas.

Check out the date guys. And then see what GOOGLE have done locally on your home page!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:22 pm

MikeTX wrote:i'm appalled.

happy april 1st, bryan

Thank you Mike! And you have a great day too, plus everyone else here on SP.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Ok you got me. Have a good day too!

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:56 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:If I didn't know that BB was such a serious guy, I might think this picture suspicious.

:lol: :lol:
Can I add a futher couple of clues!

This development is a watered down version of what was originally planned to meet forthcoming EU legislation about those who walk into the night. Originally it was proposed that anyone walking into darkness would have to have luminous paint sprayed onto their back, or rucksac if wearing one. This would have made it much easier for them to be rescued in case of difficulty. However it was the inability of paint manufacturers to prepare a waterproof paint that would wear off quickly after 24 hours that saw this part of the proposal changed.

And then this:-

Bryan Benn, a well know hill and mountain walker was the first person to test the original wayside "make it glow in the dark" system that was trialed after the waterproof paint scheme was aborted. This was for warm summer nights only, and entailed dirndl wearing Bavarian Serving Wenches standing at strategically placed points on mountain trails holding glasses of ice cold wheat beer. The glasses having been treated on the outside with a luminous powder. However those monitoring the test by following Bryan around a pre-designated mountain track at night were surprised to find that after Bryan had passed each Serving Wench that some of the luminous powder had mysteriously transferred from the beer glass to each of the Serving Wenches' breast areas.

Check out the date guys. And then see what GOOGLE have done locally on your home page!

We have a saying here, Bryan: "Don't quit your day job." :lol:

Next

Return to General