It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:14 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

1970's Mt Whitney Documentary

Hi everyone,

My wife works for a program through the California State Library and this week she shared with me this incredible documentary on overcrowding on Mt. Whitney. I'm sure many of us know a thing or two about that. It's a fascinating glimpse into the culture of California adventure in the 1970’s and the way we interact with nature and each other.

Hope you enjoy!!

http://www.foodwaterattention.com/feed/ ... d-mountain
Read more : 1970's Mt Whitney Documentary | Views : 2828 | Replies : 2

Yosemite Just Got a 94 Mile Hiking Route

Andrew Skurka just got a quad busting 94 mile hiking route in Yosemite
https://mountainplanet.com/blog/yosemit ... route-6874
Read more : Yosemite Just Got a 94 Mile Hiking Route | Views : 3348 | Replies : 2

Kid's Climb near Tahoe

I am looking to take my 9 year old daughter camping and climbing for the first time. I would like to hike up to a spot, set up camp, do something interesting like top roping or fishing; and then climb a peak the next day. My girl climbs outdoors, since age 5, to about 5.8 (5.10 indoor), rappels, etc. She just does not have the endurance for a long, grueling hike with a pack. I ...
Read more : Kid's Climb near Tahoe | Views : 2536 | Replies : 1

Rock Creek Sno-Park

Hey all. Does anyone where the Sno-Park currently goes up to?

Thanks
Read more : Rock Creek Sno-Park | Views : 6603 | Replies : 6

Beginner mountaineering in California

Hi all-
First I apologize to post in the general forum. I'm having trouble posting in the California region forum.

I'm in the bay area, and would like to try my first snow mountain. I have no snow experience whatsoever. This would be my first experience with Crampons, Ice axes etc. I'm thinking about Mt.Shasta via the Avalanche Gulch, with my friend who is experienced with Shasta and other mountains. From what I read, looks ...
Read more : Beginner mountaineering in California | Views : 9321 | Replies : 9

Split Mountain Peak in June

Hi, I am looking to go up something significant early in the season. I am looking at Split Mountain on June 15. I am wondering about the approach by car. I have a 4WD Subaru, but it is not high off the ground. Are there stream crossings by car; and given the snow this year will these crossings be treacherous?
Read more : Split Mountain Peak in June | Views : 2612 | Replies : 2

CHP Helicopter-H-80 Hoist Rescue at Mt Russell

Rescue on Mt Russell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb_fgRK ... be&fbclid=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb_fgRK ... be&fbclid= -- CHP Helicopter H-80 Hoist at Mt Russell
On the afternoon of Sunday, April 7, the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office received an emergency satellite transmission requesting a rescue near Mt. Whitney. A party of four climbers attempting to summit Mt. Russell (14,088’) had gotten off route while descending and were stuck on the side of ...
Read more : CHP Helicopter-H-80 Hoist Rescue at Mt Russell | Views : 3748 | Replies : 5

Backcountry Skiing in the Salmon Mountains and Trinity Alps

I've been trying to plan some day trips in the Trinity Alps and Salmon Mountains for back country skiing tours. I can't seem to find much online in terms of information.

Question:
What are some access points to get into the back country in the Trinity Alps or Salmon Mountains? I saw the Canyon Creek trailhead, but it looks like the road is not very passable in winter. Is this true? Are there any other ...
Read more : Backcountry Skiing in the Salmon Mountains and Trinity Alps | Views : 8214 | Replies : 1

Lone Pine Peak in mid-April

Some of us are planning to attempt Lone Pine Peak in a couple of weeks, as a two-day trip. Does anyone have any recent photos or information about current conditions in the Meysan Lakes area? Thanks.
Read more : Lone Pine Peak in mid-April | Views : 3138 | Replies : 2

Sport Climbing Near San Fran

I'm planning a trip to the Bay area end of Aug / beginning of Sept (from the UK) and have a couple of questions:
1) When does summer vacation finish for kids? And are there public holidays around that time? Just want to go at the quietest/cheapest time!
2) What are the best sport climbing crags in the area for an low grade climber?
Thanks!
Read more : Sport Climbing Near San Fran | Views : 3148 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557987 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136495