It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 5:22 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Climber Tumbles on Thunderbolt Peak

Inyo County Sheriff's Office
13 hrs ·
Thunderbolt SAR
At 4:30pm on August 26th, two climbers were on a portion of the Palisade Traverse in the North Couloir of Thunderbolt Peak when the male of the party took a 300-foot tumbling fall suffering major trauma. The party had a PLB (personal locator beacon) which they activated. Sequoia and Kings National Park (SEKI) took the initial call, and CHP – Central Division Air Operations (H-40) was ...
Read more : Climber Tumbles on Thunderbolt Peak | Views : 2750 | Replies : 0

SAR Recovery on Middle Palisades Glacier

SAR RECOVERY ON MIDDLE PALISADES GLACIER/INYO COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT
AUGUST 20, 2018 DESTON ROGERS
August 20, 2018 2:25pm

On Saturday, August 18, 2018 the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office was notified by Interagency Dispatch Center in Bishop of a deceased male subject on the northeast face of Middle Palisades Peak. The third hand reporting party described the area as the “Red Rock Route” at approximately 12,900”.
On Sunday, August 19 two Inyo County Search and Rescue ...
Read more : SAR Recovery on Middle Palisades Glacier | Views : 3694 | Replies : 4

Bear Creek Spire Rescue - Aug 12

Inyo County Sheriff's Office
22 hrs ·
Bear Creek Spire SAR:
On the afternoon of August 12th a climber took a tumbling fall while descending on talus from Bear Creek Spire. Pain in his left leg, hip, and sensitivity in his spine left him unable to continue. His climbing partner left him with supplies and hiked out to the Mosquito Flat trailhead, then drove to Tom's Place in order to call 911.
Inyo County Sheriff’s ...
Read more : Bear Creek Spire Rescue - Aug 12 | Views : 1949 | Replies : 0

Re: Missing Person Alert Yosemite 8/11

Yosemite National Park is at Mono County Sheriff's Office.
16 hrs · Bridgeport, CA ·
MISSING PERSON: Scott Tenczar

If you were in the area of Robinson Creek, Crown Lake, Matterhorn Canyon, Smedberg Lake, Seavey Pass, or Peeler Lake between July 25 and August 5, 2018, even if you don't believe you have any information about the missing person, please contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch at 888/653-0009 or at ...
Read more : Re: Missing Person Alert Yosemite 8/11 | Views : 2341 | Replies : 0

Pt Powell photo?

Anyone have a recent photo of Pt Powell from Thompson or Ski Mountaineer's peak? (ie; from the east)
Read more : Pt Powell photo? | Views : 1811 | Replies : 0

JMT Fire Issues?

Hello all - I'll be hiking a section of the JMT (Onion Valley to South Lake) August 4 - 11. Has anyone been through there recently and have any info regarding trail conditions? Snow, water crossings, fire closures,etc?

Thanks,
Steve
Read more : JMT Fire Issues? | Views : 6151 | Replies : 10

Dumb and Dana

A funny thing happened on my way back to the trailhead…

I hiked up Mt. Dana from Tioga Pass today. On my descent, when I was only about 20 minutes from my car, I encountered two young men on their way up. One of them asked me, “Are you worried about the weather?” He indicated the gathering storm clouds which I had not yet even noticed. Being so close to the finish, I replied, “Not ...
Read more : Dumb and Dana | Views : 5075 | Replies : 8

New to Desolation

Hi guys,

Just relocated from LA to Sacramento and am excited to explore the northern stretch of the Sierra.

I'm trying to put together my first weekend in the Desolation Wilderness to incorporate a class 2-3 climb and fishing.

Can anyone recommend a good combination of basecamp lake and peak nearby? Currently thinking of Sylvia or Lyons lake and do Pyramid and Agassiz.

Curious about favorite lakes and climbs in general in the tahoe region ...
Read more : New to Desolation | Views : 3271 | Replies : 4

JMT - Bishop Creek to Whitney Portal Road

Hi,

I am trying to make a plan for JMT from Bishop Creek to Whitney Portal Road.
Can someone tell me - the possible campsites along this routes and the approximate distances between them.
Since I am venturing out alone, I would like to stay in a designated campsites along the route to avoid any bear attacks and all that.

Thanks
Read more : JMT - Bishop Creek to Whitney Portal Road | Views : 3260 | Replies : 3

Mt Tyndall / Shepherd Pass - lost jacket + conditions

I lost my lucky jacket on the North Rib/summit ridge of Mt Tyndall this past weekend (July 1). It's a red Outdoor Research Gore-Tex shell, zipped into its own pocket so it'll appear rectangular and grey from the outside (aka blends in with the granite :cry:). Well-loved with repair patches; it's been through lots of summits and an embarrassing number of lost bushwhacks.

If ...
Read more : Mt Tyndall / Shepherd Pass - lost jacket + conditions | Views : 3314 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558014 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136574