It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:25 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Sonora Pass/Leavitt Meadow

Does anyone have any current info on the Sonora pass area? Is it still good for ski/snowboarding? What about camping? The Road to Leavitt Lake? Current pictures?

Thanks in advance.
JSB
Read more : Sonora Pass/Leavitt Meadow | Views : 3576 | Replies : 6

GPS Use in California...

Today I finally posted my review of the Delorme PN-40 GPS, which is the unit I use to put together my trip reports with Google Earth images. The only reason I'm including here is because of the many references to areas around California. Hope it helps anyone interested in getting a GPS!

Gusto

http://www.spgear.org/gear/7099/delorme ... pn-40.html
Read more : GPS Use in California... | Views : 696 | Replies : 0

Need a Second Class Re-Route

A couple friends, scheduled to lead a half-dozen students (Wilderness Travel Course, Sierra Club) on a trip this weekend, are now scrambling to replace their two-nighter in overly-snowed Mineral King (to climb Hengst Pk, Florence Pk and Vandever Mtn). The trip needs to be east or west Sierra and include at least one peak. Unfortunately crampons, etc. cannot be part of the repertoire -- the trip can't go above second class (snowshoes okay).

Any advice ...
Read more : Need a Second Class Re-Route | Views : 1567 | Replies : 8

Anyone been to Wonder Lakes?

The g/f, a photographer, and I are planning on overnighting there next Saturday, and....

A. How are they for photography in general? She's convinced they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I've never been.

B. Snow levels?
Read more : Anyone been to Wonder Lakes? | Views : 2028 | Replies : 0

Snake ID

What snake is this? Saw it on descent from Palisades.

Read more : Snake ID | Views : 2350 | Replies : 8

Backountry rock climbing suggestions

I am looking for some advice for an overnight rock climbing trip over July 4th weekend. I am fine with heading to either side of the Sierra. Ideally something with a 4-8 mile approach and 2k or 3k of elevation gain. Pretty much we are looking to do a leisurely trip and get in a day or two of rock climbing from base camp. We are thinking 3-6 pitches or so 5. whatever to 5.8 ...
Read more : Backountry rock climbing suggestions | Views : 3192 | Replies : 21

Current Conditions on Mt. Tallac & Pyramid Peak.Any Snow

i was planning to head out to do Mt. Tallac & Pyramid Peak this weekend but, i was hoping there would be still snow on these mountains...anybody know the current conditions on these mountains or is it just a pile of rocks and running water by now? any help or info. would be much appreciated...please fee free to post up here + pics or shoot me PM. thank you.
Read more : Current Conditions on Mt. Tallac & Pyramid Peak.Any Snow | Views : 15466 | Replies : 38

tuolumne meadows current conditions

hey ... planning on doing waterwheel falls/glen aulin next sunday. anyone been up that way lately and know what the snow level is like?
Read more : tuolumne meadows current conditions | Views : 2790 | Replies : 3

Looking for 1 night backpacking trips in San Gabriels

Any ideas for a good 1 night backpacking trip in the San Gabriels? Looking to hike about 10-12 miles each day. Higher elevation preferred, but want to stay out of the snow.

Any leads appreciated!

Aaron
Read more : Looking for 1 night backpacking trips in San Gabriels | Views : 2167 | Replies : 3

Bishop Pass Conditions

was thinking of attemping Isoceles Peak in mid July. anyone been up to BP lately?
thanks
Read more : Bishop Pass Conditions | Views : 3266 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557991 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136504