It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:55 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Snow Tongue Pass. Just how scary is it?

I'm considering doing a modified version of the South Lake to North Lake loop and a section of Roper's Sierra High Route. Thinking of going over Snow Tongue Pass to Piute Canyon, French Canyon, Puppet Pass, Desolation Lake and out to North Lake.

However all my resources say Snow Tongue is really, REALLY scary. Has anyone been over it and if so, is it really that bad? Any idea what it will be like in ...
Read more : Snow Tongue Pass. Just how scary is it? | Views : 6070 | Replies : 3

Sequoia West Side Conditions?

I'm going up over JO pass to Jennie Lakes then over East and around the North side of Mt Siliman to Siliman Pass back down to Lodgepole this weekend. June 26-27th.

Anyone have a first hand visual on the snow level?

I'm watching this: (and it looks pretty thick from space)
http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/shows ... vis&size=1
Read more : Sequoia West Side Conditions? | Views : 1358 | Replies : 2

South Warner Wilderness conditions?

Does anyone know what the trial conditions are at the moment? I am wondering if they got as much snow as the Trinities did.

Thanks.
Read more : South Warner Wilderness conditions? | Views : 623 | Replies : 0

Temple Crag - Good conditions, fast descent

For anyone who's interested, I climbed Moon Goddess Arete on Sunday. The conditions on all of the aretes look good...definitely no problems on Moon Goddess. I recommend boots and crampons for the snow slope getting up to the base of the routes. The snow comes down pretty low (maybe 100m below the traverse ledge) and it is very firm. Ice axe is not necessary. The descent is super fast. No snow getting down to Contact ...
Read more : Temple Crag - Good conditions, fast descent | Views : 1817 | Replies : 3

Garnet & 1000 Island Lakes

I understand that there will be plenty of snow in the basin but what about the lakes themselves? Has anyone seen them recently?

Ellery and Tioga Lakes are at a similar elevation and they melted out last week. Is this a good barometer or do they usually melt out earlier?

Thanks
Read more : Garnet & 1000 Island Lakes | Views : 1273 | Replies : 2

Anyone have any experience w/Yosemite's Fern Ledge trail?

I've been looking at that place for years, and couldn't really find out anything about it until I just discovered that it's (duh) called Fern Ledge.

The reason I ask is that I have a photographer g/f who would like to see it with me, but she has vertigo, and the trail and area around it look like bad news for those with something like that.

Thanks!
Read more : Anyone have any experience w/Yosemite's Fern Ledge trail? | Views : 3231 | Replies : 1

Shepherds Pass Conditions

Has anyone been through Shepherds Pass recently? If so, what were the conditions like? Any snow? I am intending to head up on Friday and would like to try making it up Mount Tyndall and Mount Williamson. Did you notice the snow conditions on either peak?
Read more : Shepherds Pass Conditions | Views : 4894 | Replies : 22

Tioga Pass Resort

Can anyone advise how to get a room here? Apparently they have no phone (except a sat) and they don't respond to email. Their website looks like it was last updated in 2006. Are they still alive? Ideally I'd like to get a shower after several days of climbing in the valley on the way up to Dana Couloir but want to 1) stay high, and 2) not have to drive to Lee Vining.

Thanks!
Read more : Tioga Pass Resort | Views : 8172 | Replies : 21

Reds Meadow

NEWS
RELEASE Inyo National Forest
Devils Postpile Nat’l Monument
Town of Mammoth Lakes
Media Contact: Pennie Custer
760-924-5516

Date: June 16, 2010

Revised Opening Date for Reds Meadow Road

The Reds Meadow Road, with access to the Devils Postpile National Monument, is now scheduled to open to the public on Thursday, June 24. The Forest Service and the Park Service are working with the Town of Mammoth Lakes, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area and CALTRANS to ...
Read more : Reds Meadow | Views : 1320 | Replies : 1

Convict Lake Camping

Whats the story up there? I checked out Chief's page on Morrison and it seems that theres a campground there, is it a fee deal or a rambo campground?

Maybe we can get The Chief to give me a PM with the lowdown, or if anyone else has camped there and can tell me what the story is.

Do they have BBQ pits? Kinda want to grill a steak this weekend ...
Read more : Convict Lake Camping | Views : 9140 | Replies : 32

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557965 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136442