It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:15 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

John Fischer fatal accident.

As reported by the Chief in the News Forum ,John was killed in a motorcycle accident last Saturday . There are moving tributes to John by many climbing world friends and admirers on the forum at SuperTopo .
Read more : John Fischer fatal accident. | Views : 1776 | Replies : 1

Rest and Be Thankful, Mount Langley

This message is for Cory Harelson: You e-mailed me through the SP forum requesting info on the Rest and Be Thankful route on Langley. Unfortunately, your return e-mail is "no-reply@summitpost.org. If you still want the info, e-mail me again from your e-mail address, or leave a message here. Cheers, Alois.
Read more : Rest and Be Thankful, Mount Langley | Views : 1139 | Replies : 0

Ritter/Banner This Weekend, Snow Conditions/Frozen Lakes?

We're headed out tomorrow/Friday for Ritter/Banner.

We're planning on staying at Ediza Lake and are curious if anyone has been out that direction yet this year and if so, are the lakes still mostly frozen over, or any chance they're open? (hoping to bring a fishing pole, but curious if that's realistic)

Would love to hear anything anyone knows.

Thanks!!
Read more : Ritter/Banner This Weekend, Snow Conditions/Frozen Lakes? | Views : 1903 | Replies : 3

Kennedy Meadows/Domeland Area

Anyone by chance know what the current snow level is or conditions are like in the Kennedy Meadows and/or Domeland Wilderness Areas?
Read more : Kennedy Meadows/Domeland Area | Views : 1146 | Replies : 2

Lost: My Nuts

I lost a set of nuts and couple of hexes this past weekend on the U-Notch. I either lost them somewhere in the middle of the couloir when I was glissading or inside the bergschrund when I punched through it and had to work my way out. PM me if you happen to find them and we can arrange something.
Read more : Lost: My Nuts | Views : 6655 | Replies : 21

Slightly OT: Big Giant Space Rock!

Though slightly off-topic, this did happen while I was conveying myself (by bicycle) toward the summit of a (lesser) mountain.

Last night, while on one of my twice-weekly night rides, I was riding up Mulholland Drive west of Los Angeles. Suddenly there was a really big flash. Instinct said 'lightning' but reason adjusted this to 'airplane or helicopter' - but it was very bright, even for aircraft. When I looked up I saw the faintly ...
Read more : Slightly OT: Big Giant Space Rock! | Views : 600 | Replies : 2

June 11-14 Eastside Beta/Suggestions

Heading out for a 3-4 day trip with a friend tomorrow afternoon, seems still a lot of snow out there.

We were considering Mt Darwin west ridge, or maybe Abbot and Mills as an alternative. Anyone done them recently or this early in another season? Or have suggestions for similar trips as an alternative? Looking for something in the class 3 range.
Thanks in advance...
Read more : June 11-14 Eastside Beta/Suggestions | Views : 1707 | Replies : 6

Bishop Motels

It's been a long time since I've stayed at a motel in Bishop. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

G-hoppa
Read more : Bishop Motels | Views : 4091 | Replies : 12

places of interest on the modoc plateau?

I'm finally heading to California's Northeast corner next week... primarily to backpack a few days in the Warner Mtns, but I'm hoping to check out other things in the area- anyone ever explored up there and have some recommendations of places to check out?
Read more : places of interest on the modoc plateau? | Views : 3664 | Replies : 9

Temple Crag?

Anyone been in recently? Any thoughts on the condition of Moon Goddess, and the descent? Looking to get out next weekend for something alpine-ish. Maybe too early yet, but I'm mildly hopeful. Feel free to speculate based on conditions in other areas.
Read more : Temple Crag? | Views : 2203 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136427