It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:28 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

snowpack blues

Hi folks, first-time poster, long-time lurker.

So my wife and I have only ONE week this summer that we can get lost in the backcountry... the last week in June... and I am really bummed about the heavy snowpack.

Everyone tells me to go to the Lost Coast instead of the Sierras or Trinities, but I gotta satisfy my granite fix.

One thought I had was the Siskiyou Wilderness up near the Oregon border... pretty ...
Read more : snowpack blues | Views : 7500 | Replies : 26

Tioga Pass opening 2010

I see the old thread by Deleted User is gone (or perhaps just temporarily hidden) and everyone's bets with it.

Anyway, current progress as of May 12 -

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Crew currently at Visitor Center: 38.6 plowed miles of 42 miles. Plowing continues Monday - Saturday. Average Snow Depth is 4 to 6 feet. Plowing operation will continue today.
Read more : Tioga Pass opening 2010 | Views : 16336 | Replies : 56

CLOSURES: GROTTO & CTP AREAS

Of ECHO CLIFFS in Malibu area.

Heed the CLOSURE!

http://www.nps.gov/samo/upload/PublicNo ... ch2010.PDF
Read more : CLOSURES: GROTTO & CTP AREAS | Views : 10600 | Replies : 54

Shasta: May-June

The Shasta-April post seemed outdated but was very useful. I am planning Casaval Ridge May 20-22. We will also go Hotlum-Bolum June 10-12. Did anyone go up last week? How were the conditions? It's snowing right now in Klamath Falls so I recognize conditions will change but it's nice to get recent reports.
Read more : Shasta: May-June | Views : 13380 | Replies : 82

Hull Mountain

I need a ride. The Jeep is going into the shop on Monday and I need to ski Hull on Wednesday.
Who's got a 4X4 with decent clearance that can drive me up there?
EARLY start or camp out Tue. evening.

$REWARD$ and/or Napa Valley wine for your help.
Read more : Hull Mountain | Views : 1001 | Replies : 0

Lost one of the tribe - keep a lookout for a camera

September 20, 2009 a guy I know climbed Matterhorn Peak with some friends. On the way down, one fell and did not survive. A camera was lost and they are hoping to get it back. It is a bombproof old Pentax K1000 film camera and they hope the film will be ok. I took two of them up to look for it October 24, 2009 but some snow had fallen. They weren't certain where they ...
Read more : Lost one of the tribe - keep a lookout for a camera | Views : 1251 | Replies : 1

Climbing fatality in Yosemite Valley

A sad Mother's Day for Mrs. Ellis. Rappelling continues as one of the most dangerous of climbing-related activities.
Read more : Climbing fatality in Yosemite Valley | Views : 20516 | Replies : 58

All You San Jacinto Pros

I have not been on San J since I was a kid. Gonna try either Marion Mt trail or Devils Slide next Friday. Anyone been on these recently? would like to get in a training hike and not get bogged down in snow, any luck in that?
Dave
Read more : All You San Jacinto Pros | Views : 5833 | Replies : 22

Santa Cruz Island - April 2010

Headed back over to Santa Cruz Island and had a great time a couple weeks ago. I've got some more images from my GPS to add, but the preliminary report is done. Be forewarned: Extremely longwinded! Enjoy!

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/6 ... -2010.html

Gusto
Read more : Santa Cruz Island - April 2010 | Views : 1974 | Replies : 6

Want to share a Lost Coast Shuttle June 17?

If interested, please PM me. Thanks!
Read more : Want to share a Lost Coast Shuttle June 17? | Views : 1173 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557948 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136406