It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:50 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Looking for Information on climbing routes in Big Bear

Im trying to take a group up to Lake Silverwood For Climbing does anyone know some good spots to go climbing? looking for some good TR or Sport Routes.
Read more : Looking for Information on climbing routes in Big Bear | Views : 4021 | Replies : 12

Try again: V-notch

Looking for a partner(s) to climb the V-notch Couloir, 1200 ft, class 5 (on 14,000ft peak in Palisades, near Bishop Calif) sometime between april 20-30. your choice of dates! I went there last week and there is A LOT of snow. too much to snowshoe the 8 or 9 miles up to the palisades glacier with heavy packs.

So i am planning to return with SKIS!!! yay!!!

I don't mind leading it or swapping leads. ...
Read more : Try again: V-notch | Views : 1655 | Replies : 7

Lucy's Footpass

Has anybody been up this? I'm curious what it's like. I noticed on the topo the big moraine symbol over most of it - sloggy?

Thanks!
g4b
Read more : Lucy's Footpass | Views : 5315 | Replies : 13

Jacinto/Gorgonio/Mt Baldy

I'm going to be in the area for work next week, but am arriving early to try to climb the peaks mentioned in the title between Sun Apr 17 and Wed Apr 21. I'd like to avoid the trams, so I'm planning on the following dayhikes:

Jacinto via Humber Park/Devil's Slide or the Marion Mountain Trail

Gorgonio via South Fork

Baldy via Bear Canyon/Baldy Village (although I'm doing this third and may use the lift) ...
Read more : Jacinto/Gorgonio/Mt Baldy | Views : 7922 | Replies : 24

Cucamunga Peak

Has anyone been up Cucamunga Peak lately or have any info on current conditions? Thinking about hiking up early may and hoping there will still be some snow.
Read more : Cucamunga Peak | Views : 483 | Replies : 1

Sierra High Route in July?

I'm likely to post more questions in the following months about the Sierra High Route (Roper route).

I'm planning on doing the copper creek trailhead to Bishop Pass section (exiting South Lake) of the route.
I have Steve Roper's book and have found a few resources online.

Can anyone tell me what kind of snow cover there will be up on that section of the route in July considering this year's snowfall so far?

crampons ...
Read more : Sierra High Route in July? | Views : 3839 | Replies : 4

Hines Peak (Ventura County, CA)

Does anyone have good, recent information on the route(s) up Hines Peak in the Topatopa Range near Ojai/Santa Paula?

Via phone, the Ranger at the Los Padres NF in Ojai was deliberately (?) vague regarding a trail up Hines, but I think he was thinking of an official, maintained trail.

Is there an advantage to starting in Santa Paula/Sisar Avenue TH vs. a route from the north?

Thanks in advance. It'll be just me, no ...
Read more : Hines Peak (Ventura County, CA) | Views : 2580 | Replies : 3

Rideshare from LA to Yosemite this weekend: 4/16 or 4/17

Are you heading to Yosemite for the weekend? If so, consider sharing your ride with a fellow climber and dirtbag.

I'm a 25 year old writer and rock climber looking to get to Yosemite this coming weekend. I'm more than happy to share the costs of gas with you on the ride, and can also share driving responsibilities (clean driving record).

And if you need a climbing partner, I'd be totally down. I lead trad ...
Read more : Rideshare from LA to Yosemite this weekend: 4/16 or 4/17 | Views : 1309 | Replies : 0

Re: Shasta permit and harness question

douc wrote:Where do you pick up the climbing permit for Shasta? I hear that you need one above 10,000 ft.? Can you get one at the Fifth season store? Also is it a good idea to have a partner as well as use climbing harnesses on routes? It looks like there are some massive crevasses on the mountain. Douc

The USFS has a great website that should answer most of your questions -

Read more : Re: Shasta permit and harness question | Views : 1965 | Replies : 5

Basin Mountain - Conditions?

Anyone been up the East Couloir of Basin lately? Looks like an awesome ski. Also, how close can I get to the trailhead with a Toyota Camry?
Read more : Basin Mountain - Conditions? | Views : 972 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557961 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136430