It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:10 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Death Valley - Tin & Dry Peaks

Hey gang, I'm planning to head to the desert for a change of scenery. I'm thinking of staying out for possibly a week. Besides Tin & Dry mountains, what other peaks in the immediate areas should I check out?
Read more : Death Valley - Tin & Dry Peaks | Views : 2599 | Replies : 10

SKIING THIS WEEK IN THE SIERRA

My first time in 4 years, skiing isn't quite like riding a bike. In fact not close, I have a lot more days of skiing ahead of me to get back where I was. But it snowed yesterday and last night and today we had about 16 inches of frech, dry powder. Great day, skied with my 13 year old daughter and 14 year old son. ANYBODY ELSE ON THE SLOPES? Oh, I must admit ...
Read more : SKIING THIS WEEK IN THE SIERRA | Views : 3121 | Replies : 11

Bridgeport hot spring conditions??!?!

I'm probably going to be driving through bridgeport tomorrow. Anyone been to Buckeye or Travertine lately? Are the roads snowy at all? passable with a 2wd with bald highway tires?
Read more : Bridgeport hot spring conditions??!?! | Views : 1749 | Replies : 3

Russell East Ridge

Does anyone have any recent beta on the East Ridge right now? I am looking to head up there Friday/Saturday of this week and wondering what the conditions on the route are? Also, does the approach to Russell-Carillion saddle from Clyde Meadow (not the Rockwell variation) have good snow coverage?
Read more : Russell East Ridge | Views : 4142 | Replies : 11

Lost climbers on Shasta updates

hi all,

got an email thru the a local hiking club concerning our friend PellucidWombat (http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=12893) (Mark Thomas) and Tom Bennett.

Thanks everyone...
Read more : Lost climbers on Shasta updates | Views : 72888 | Replies : 228

Questions about red rock formations on north side of the 166

I've driven by these innumerable times, even stopped at the gate in front of them on the highway talking to a SLO SO deputy and a ranch worker about them this weekend, and no one seems to know their name, or if there are any other formations like them further back in the hills.

Anyone? Buehler?

Sorry about the image. I'm having some fuzzy/focus/f-stop issues.

Read more : Questions about red rock formations on north side of the 166 | Views : 3494 | Replies : 10

Post 2010 Wildflower Pics Here...

Use this thread to post wildflower pics from the 2010 season.

Best links for following wildflowers I've seen so far:

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/wildupdates.html

http://www.theodorepayne.org/hotline.html

Here's a couple of pics from the Antelope Valley Poppy Preserve from March 27, 2010.

(Taken just OUTSIDE of the reserve, which is where the best showing of poppies were at the time).

Gusto
Read more : Post 2010 Wildflower Pics Here... | Views : 3389 | Replies : 14

Tahquitz S facing route conditions?

Anyone have recent condition info on the S facing routes at Tahquitz (e.g. Open Book)? thanks
Read more : Tahquitz S facing route conditions? | Views : 1229 | Replies : 4

Bonus peaks near Alta Peak

Some random questions about early-spring peakbagging in the Alta Peak area:

- What's the traverse from Winter Alta (Pk 11328') to Alta to Pk 10561' like (scrambling difficulty, fun-value, etc.)? I was thinking of ascending via Pear Lake (or possibly Moose Lake), then descending the the ridge SW of Aster Lake...but I'm not sure about the nature of the ridge between Alta and Pk 10561'.
- Is Big Bird Peak worthwhile?
- Has anyone followed ...
Read more : Bonus peaks near Alta Peak | Views : 1265 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557961 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136430