Lost climbers on Shasta updates

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
User Avatar
requiem

 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:38 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Lost climbers on Shasta updates

by requiem » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:25 pm

hi all,

got an email thru the a local hiking club concerning our friend PellucidWombat (http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=12893) (Mark Thomas) and Tom Bennett.

[post edited for content and privacy.]

Thanks everyone...
Last edited by requiem on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

User Avatar
cleopatra

 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:17 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

by cleopatra » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 pm

I recall talking to Mark a couple weeks ago about them going for a Northside route, despite roads not being open. So they might have tried to ski or drive to the northside.

We need to find out exactly what route, and the make/model/license of their car.

-Val

User Avatar
Sarah Simon

 
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:01 am
Thanked: 240 times in 108 posts

by Sarah Simon » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:45 pm

Giving this a bump to keep the topic fresh.

I hope this has a happy ending. All the best to the mountaineers and their families!

User Avatar
Matt Worster

 
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:08 pm
Thanked: 10 times in 5 posts

by Matt Worster » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:15 pm

c'mon you two, we're pullin' for you.

User Avatar
butitsadryheat

 
Posts: 8265
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:59 pm
Thanked: 2862 times in 2096 posts

by butitsadryheat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:29 pm

wow, I hope they can descend to a lower altitude at least to try and help with the altitude sickness, but with the ataxia it may be difficult/dangerous. Big storm coming in too.

Fingers crossed

User Avatar
Diggler

 
Posts: 2796
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:03 pm
Thanked: 11 times in 10 posts

by Diggler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Be strong, hunker down, & hang in there guys. If anybody can make it through something like this, it's you, Mark. We're all pulling for you. Talk soon, bro.

User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3767
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Thanked: 10 times in 9 posts

by Luciano136 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 pm

I hope they can descend. They can't possible sit this out. This is the forecast for tonight at 12k:

Tonight: Snow. Low around 10. Wind chill values as low as -17. Windy, with a west southwest wind 45 to 50 mph decreasing to between 35 and 40 mph. Winds could gust as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Hoping for a good outcome!!

User Avatar
McCannster

 
Posts: 838
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:56 pm
Thanked: 47 times in 33 posts

by McCannster » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Hang in there Mark and Tom!

User Avatar
depclimb

 
Posts: 2721
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:41 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

The best

by depclimb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 pm

Pulling for you Mark and Tom

User Avatar
cleopatra

 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:17 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

by cleopatra » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Newspaper update - what does this mean? Is Mark coming down alone, or with Tom?


Today around 2 p.m.Thomas called the Sheriff's Department on his cell phone and is currently coming down the mountain at an elevation of about 7,000 feet. He has a map and a compass with him, Gravenkamp said.

Thomas reported that his climbing partner was not doing well and he made the decision it would be best to try to make his way down the mountain today. The two Forest Service Mountain Rangers are on snowmobiles and will continue searching at the 7,000-foot elevation for Thomas.

A friend of Thomas has been in contact with the Sheriff’s Office and reports that he is an experienced climber who has climbed Mount Shasta a number of times, however, the was the first time he climbed the more technical north side Hotlum/Bolam Route, Gravenkamp said.

User Avatar
cleopatra

 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:17 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

by cleopatra » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Hmm, one media article says that just Mark is descending, and the other says both.


Still worried about Tom.

User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3767
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Thanked: 10 times in 9 posts

by Luciano136 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 am

Oh man, I really hope both of them are ok!! This would be the first mountain epic with a good ending in a long time!

User Avatar
Deltaoperator17

 
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 am
Thanked: 19 times in 14 posts

by Deltaoperator17 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 am

My prayers are for thier safe return

User Avatar
Bubba Suess

 
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:15 pm
Thanked: 183 times in 105 posts

by Bubba Suess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:19 am

I am definitely praying for these guys. I feel like I should be out doing something to help...

User Avatar
Diggler

 
Posts: 2796
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:03 pm
Thanked: 11 times in 10 posts

by Diggler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:29 am

Hang in there, guys. Praying for both of you. Get down safely- you can do it!

Next

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests