It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:56 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Ontario Peak, Ollestad Canyon

In the last week, some SoCal locals (me included) completed two long snow climbs on an obscure drainage on the northwest side of Ontario Peak (near Mt. Baldy). We were inspired by reading Crazy for the Storm about a plane crash in that drainage. The author, Norman Ollestad, was the sole survivor. The drainage is between Cherry Canyon and Kerkhoff Canyon. Since I could find no name for the drainage, I've tentatively called it Ollestad ...
Read more : Ontario Peak, Ollestad Canyon | Views : 4338 | Replies : 1

Baldy Avy danger

Hey guys,

I havn't been in town for about 2 weeks and so havn't seen how conditions have been but how does avy danger fro baldy look for next saturday or sunday. For that matter, how are conditions for baldy right now? Looking to go up in the snow, so how does that look?

-CS
Read more : Baldy Avy danger | Views : 1128 | Replies : 3

Where to eat on 395 in Lone Pine or Independence

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good food anywhere in or around these two towns. Coming in tomorrow afternoon and it sure would be nice to get a good meal in before heading out. Pizza factory is completely out of the question.
Read more : Where to eat on 395 in Lone Pine or Independence | Views : 14019 | Replies : 23

San Diego --> Lee Vining ice carpoo: this Friday night 3

Need to ice climb. I'm working 12 hour days and need to carpool/share the driving to Lee Vining this Friday night from San Diego? We could meet along the I-15/I-210. I'm hoping to leave SD by ~ 8PM this Friday March 19th.

--Miguel
Read more : San Diego --> Lee Vining ice carpoo: this Friday night 3 | Views : 2196 | Replies : 10

Trail Running the San Gabriels

I am from Colorado and am here on business. Went up Mt. Wilson in a 4 hour round trip already and am looking for another good trail run or hike. I am staying in Pasadena.

Thanks!
Read more : Trail Running the San Gabriels | Views : 2167 | Replies : 6

Suggestions? Mammoth to Tuolumne backpack

Looking at Reds Meadow to Tuolumne via JMT. Any nice spots to avoid the crowds around Thousand Island/Garnet Lake? How crowded does Ediza get? Any nice spots to share in Lyell Canyon? Never been to the area other than dayhikes. This will be a 3 day backpack in late July. I realize it will be very busy in this area during this time period, so I wanted to see if you all had some suggestions ...
Read more : Suggestions? Mammoth to Tuolumne backpack | Views : 4180 | Replies : 15

Photography-Oriented Trip to Sky Haven - Who Wants In?

Hey SPers,

Sky Haven provides some very nice views of the Palisades, and I want to camp on the summit to photograph the view at sunset, nighttime, and sunrise. The 2nd day I may see if I can traverse over to Cloudripper for fun.

Is anyone from the Bay Area interested? I don't have a car, so I either need to share a ride or a car rental.

Trip timing would either be this Thursday ...
Read more : Photography-Oriented Trip to Sky Haven - Who Wants In? | Views : 688 | Replies : 2

Rubber Demo – photos

he he :lol: …… that’s photos of the Sticky Rubber Shoe Demo at the Joshua Tree Nomads’ this past Sat (3/13)

Shoe vendors from L to R; Evolv, Red Chile, Five Ten, Scrapa, and La Sportiva

The next shoe demo is scheduled for Saturday March 28, 2009 at 8 a.m.
Check with Nomads for details. http://www.joshuatreevillage.com/515/demo.htm
Read more : Rubber Demo – photos | Views : 757 | Replies : 1

Merced River Poppies flowering

Are the poppies blooming along the Merced River yet? How about at Hite's cove?
I missed last year's spectacular bloom, and hope to make the trip to photograph them.
thanks
Read more : Merced River Poppies flowering | Views : 740 | Replies : 3

Places to bivvy on Shasta: Casaval Ridge & Green Butte

Two quick questions...

What's the best place to overnight on Casaval Ridge? Or is it better to camp near the hut and avoid having to haul the extra weight partway up the mountain?

Also...

Are there any good places to bivvy on Green Butte Ridge? I ask because the Shasta guide/map that Fifth Season sells says, "Not much cover or 'bivoucable' snow between 8,000 and 10,000 feet."

Thanks.

By the way, I'm talking about April...
Read more : Places to bivvy on Shasta: Casaval Ridge & Green Butte | Views : 4217 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557964 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136439